Fluke? Maybe? Help! Lol

snoddy94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

Currently fighting a battle with what I suspect to be Flukes.

350 litre tank
0 amonia
0 nitrites
2-5 nitrates
0.03 phosphates
PH 8.15
Salinity 1.025

I have treated four times with five days between treatments with flubendazole. During first 24 hours after initial dose of each of the four rounds, I had turned off UV, skimmer and stopped NOPOX carbon dosing. I treated last night with flubendazole which was the fourth time around but woke up this morning to my Blue Throat Wrasse having more ‘flukes’ than last night, my small tank bred Yellow Tang now has what appears to be a fluke on its side. Can anybody help confirm this is indeed fluke and please give any advice on what on earth to do to get rid of it?

I have attached some videos and pictures of the tang which are the only semi clear ones I’ve managed to actually get

tia!!

IMG_0299.jpeg IMG_0300.jpeg IMG_0301.jpeg IMG_0302.jpeg IMG_0303.jpeg IMG_0304.png

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! My eyes are not the best, and I can't tell from the pictures and videos. R2R is an excellent forum with great people, and there is somebody on here that can answer your questions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there.

350 litre tank
0 amonia
0 nitrites
2-5 nitrates
0.03 phosphates
PH 8.15
Salinity 1.025

I have treated four times with five days between treatments with flubendazole. During first 24 hours after initial dose of each of the four rounds, I had turned off UV, skimmer and stopped NOPOX carbon dosing. I treated last night with flubendazole which was the fourth time around but woke up this morning to my Blue Throat Wrasse having more ‘flukes’ than last night, my small tank bred Yellow Tang now has what appears to be a fluke on its side. Can anybody help confirm this is indeed fluke and please give any advice on what on earth to do to get rid of it?

I have attached some videos and pictures of the tang which are the only semi clear ones I’ve managed to actually get

tia!!

IMG_0299.jpeg IMG_0300.jpeg IMG_0301.jpeg IMG_0302.jpeg IMG_0303.jpeg IMG_0304.png
Flukes rarely if at all can be seen with the naked eye. What makes you believe its flukes and what symptoms are you seeing?
If flukes, in your country, youre better off with Sera Tremazole or Panacur

OP
OP
S

snoddy94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes rarely if at all can be seen with the naked eye. What makes you believe its flukes and what symptoms are you seeing?
If flukes, in your country, youre better off with Sera Tremazole or Panacur
They aren’t massively visible, but the fish I can somewhat see on them are scratching, head shaking, overall just seem agitated and have long stringy clear poops which from what I’m reading is pointing to flukes. I was 90% sure it was flukes based on my own research and LFS advice. The final straw was last night - after noticing additional ‘flukes’ on my blue throat wrasse, I lifted him out and done a five minute fresh water dip. I couldn’t see anything in the bucket I used (but as you’ve stated I can barely see these things) but upon returning him to the tank the three distinguishable marks were gone. My other half was able to confirm they where gone as he also seen them which is also pointing toward fluke at present

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They aren’t massively visible, but the fish I can somewhat see on them are scratching, head shaking, overall just seem agitated and have long stringy clear poops which from what I’m reading is pointing to flukes. I was 90% sure it was flukes based on my own research and LFS advice. The final straw was last night - after noticing additional ‘flukes’ on my blue throat wrasse, I lifted him out and done a five minute fresh water dip. I couldn’t see anything in the bucket I used (but as you’ve stated I can barely see these things) but upon returning him to the tank the three distinguishable marks were gone. My other half was able to confirm they where gone as he also seen them which is also pointing toward fluke at present
Stringy white feces can be associated with food fed and excess mucus in the stomach lining.
Use the products suggested to eliminate flukes again If present

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

350 litre tank
0 amonia
0 nitrites
2-5 nitrates
0.03 phosphates
PH 8.15
Salinity 1.025

tia!!

I typically diagnose flukes by watching the fish - head shaking, scratching, darting forward, rapid breathing and/or general skin discoloration are all possible symptoms. Stringy feces is not a symptom of flukes, but can be a symptom of internal issues, or just a diet issue.

Flubendazole. I've not used it myself. Noga's book says to dose it at 2 mg/l (active ingredient) to control hydra(?). He also says it is toxic to snails. Therefore, I would conclude that it is NOT reef safe.

For me, praziquantel is a "known quantity, and I tend to stick with things I know and understand well. I ran some tests with fenbendazole and saw horrendous toxicity in certain species, so I've sworn off that for good.

If there are no invertebrates present, hyposalinity is also a good option against flukes.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back