Flukes?

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brown tang came down with these white spots - I thought it was ich...Tried a 20 day regimen of Polyplab Medic - things didn't get worse - but didn't get better so am in the process of setting up my QT tank - should be ready to go tomorrow after a run to the fish store for another heater. But, this morning as I was taking a closer look - I'm wondering if he has flukes instead? I'm attaching a video and a picture. Sorry it isn't very clear - that fish is a fast swimmer! (Ignore the cyano - I've been feeding a LOT - to keep the fish happy and healthy. None of the other tangs/fish have spots currently - although the Hippo had them for a couple of days - but is clear now. All the fish are swimming and eating normally - but the brown tang occasionally flashes - and the Hippo visits the cleaner shrimp regularly.

I know I can fresh water dip for verification - but for now I'd rather not cause him any more undue stress.
Brown Tang Swimming Video

brown tang.jpg

Brown Tang Swimming

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Give it a freshwater dip in water the same temperature as the display tank for 5 minutes then return fish to display tank. Check the container you gave it a dip in and look on bottom for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you see them-flukes. If not, will be Lymphocystis in which you will need to focus on good water quality and diet

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip is a great way of identifying flukes and it will provide temporary relief aid too, if you can catch the fish. Flukes can be treated with prazipro in DT if you don't have feather dusters, bristleworms, etc.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brown tang came down with these white spots - I thought it was ich...Tried a 20 day regimen of Polyplab Medic - things didn't get worse - but didn't get better so am in the process of setting up my QT tank - should be ready to go tomorrow after a run to the fish store for another heater. But, this morning as I was taking a closer look - I'm wondering if he has flukes instead? I'm attaching a video and a picture. Sorry it isn't very clear - that fish is a fast swimmer! (Ignore the cyano - I've been feeding a LOT - to keep the fish happy and healthy. None of the other tangs/fish have spots currently - although the Hippo had them for a couple of days - but is clear now. All the fish are swimming and eating normally - but the brown tang occasionally flashes - and the Hippo visits the cleaner shrimp regularly.

I know I can fresh water dip for verification - but for now I'd rather not cause him any more undue stress.

brown tang.jpg

Brown Tang Swimming

Flukes don't cause distinct white spots, you need to infer their presence by other symptoms, and those vary depending on the species of fluke involved; rapid breathing, gray cast to skin, tattered fins, cloudy cast to eyes, flashing, posturing in front of cleaner shrimp.

You could dose that tank with Prazipro, but you need to know the exact water volume of the tank, you would need to add an air stone as well during treatment. You would dose prazipro twice, about 8 days apart.

Just a side note - you have a lot of fish in that tank. My personal preference is to either go FOWLR or corals with just a few fish. I find tanks with corals and lots of fish difficult to manage.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

brown tang.jpg

Brown Tang Swimming
Also you stated youve been feeding alot to keep them fat and healthy.
Key is to keep them nourished. Overfeeding will not keep them healthy as you are affecting water quality with overfeeding. I have 13 tangs and They get what they get. They are uniform and doing well.
I assume you are doing regular water changes?

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes don't cause distinct white spots, you need to infer their presence by other symptoms, and those vary depending on the species of fluke involved; rapid breathing, gray cast to skin, tattered fins, cloudy cast to eyes, flashing, posturing in front of cleaner shrimp.

You could dose that tank with Prazipro, but you need to know the exact water volume of the tank, you would need to add an air stone as well during treatment. You would dose prazipro twice, about 8 days apart.

Just a side note - you have a lot of fish in that tank. My personal preference is to either go FOWLR or corals with just a few fish. I find tanks with corals and lots of fish difficult to manage.

Jay
Jay,

Thanks. No rapid breathing...or grey skin...etc. The Brown tang occasionally flashes - but not a lot. And Hippo visits the cleaner shrimp occasionally as well. I bought Prazi yesterday so will dose.

Total water volume is 130 gallons. I've been reading about dosing and some say start with half a dose. Would that be your recommendation? Best to dose in the sump? Main tank?

I will definitely think about the fish quantity. Might have to start another tank - as I"m kind of attached now. Most of them have been in there for 9-10 months.

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you stated youve been feeding alot to keep them fat and healthy.
Key is to keep them nourished. Overfeeding will not keep them healthy as you are affecting water quality with overfeeding. I have 13 tangs and They get what they get. They are uniform and doing well.
I assume you are doing regular water changes?
Noted. I do regular water changes - about 15 gallons a week - 130 gallons total volume. Doing another change today. Current parameters...

Nitrate 14.7 (Hanna high range)
Phosphate .04 (Hanna low range)
Alk. 8.7
Calcium 480
Mag 1410
PH (ranges during the day). 8.0-8.1
Salt 34.5
temp 78

Corals are growing great.....Fish were good/happy for the last 9 months ish. No new fish for the last 7 months. I had qt all my fish...but recently a couple of months ago brought in some corals and snails - didn't qt - and this showed up.

<scratching head>

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Noted. I do regular water changes - about 15 gallons a week - 130 gallons total volume. Doing another change today. Current parameters...

Nitrate 14.7 (Hanna high range)
Phosphate .04 (Hanna low range)
Alk. 8.7
Calcium 480
Mag 1410
PH (ranges during the day). 8.0-8.1
Salt 34.5
temp 78

Corals are growing great.....Fish were good/happy for the last 9 months ish. No new fish for the last 7 months. I had qt all my fish...but recently a couple of months ago brought in some corals and snails - didn't qt - and this showed up.

<scratching head>
Nitrate a little high for me but nothing bad
Alk- 8-11 - I like to see 9 but if coral happy, change nothing
CA- 400 -440 ideal
Mag - 1300
PH - 8.1-8.3 but as long as it stable - ok

Inverts could have caused issue but more to it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,

Thanks. No rapid breathing...or grey skin...etc. The Brown tang occasionally flashes - but not a lot. And Hippo visits the cleaner shrimp occasionally as well. I bought Prazi yesterday so will dose.

Total water volume is 130 gallons. I've been reading about dosing and some say start with half a dose. Would that be your recommendation? Best to dose in the sump? Main tank?

I will definitely think about the fish quantity. Might have to start another tank - as I"m kind of attached now. Most of them have been in there for 9-10 months.
What form of prazi will you be using? It is not very soluble in water, so I prefer to dose in the tank itself, so that the particles travel around and help dislodge flukes from the fish. Start with a full dose, around 2.2 ppm active prazi, there is no valid reason to dose at 50%, unless the person is advocating that a full dose is 5 ppm, then yes, dose at half of that (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What form of prazi will you be using? It is not very soluble in water, so I prefer to dose in the tank itself, so that the particles travel around and help dislodge flukes from the fish. Start with a full dose, around 2.2 ppm active prazi, there is no valid reason to dose at 50%, unless the person is advocating that a full dose is 5 ppm, then yes, dose at half of that (grin).

Jay
IMG_7567.jpeg

This is what I bought. It says 1 tsp per 20 gallons....or 1 oz per 120 Gallons. I have two wrasses and a mandarin dragonet - should I be concerned about them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7567.jpeg

This is what I bought. It says 1 tsp per 20 gallons....or 1 oz per 120 Gallons. I have two wrasses and a mandarin dragonet - should I be concerned about them?

Just dose based on actual water volume, including rock displacement that you'll need to estimate (I usually use 15%). Add good aeration during the first 48 hours after a dose. No issues with wrasse or dragonets as long as you do that. Remove the collection cup from any skimmer (but still run bubbles through it) and don't use carbon.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back