Flukes?

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting this out i like to say i practice diease managment i dont QT my fish instead i use a oversized UV sterilizatier and high quality foods but i noticed a decent sized white dot on my new blue hippo tang she is acting normal as in no scratching on surfaces and and eating great but im concerned about the possibility of flukes since this cannot pass through my UV im thinking of performing a freshwater dip to take them off her but im a bit nervous since ive never done this before i did my research and have all the necessary supplies to perform the dip any suggestions ? its difficult to catch on camera but i tried to get it when shes sleeping i see a few decent sized fluke like dots on camera that i cant even see in person

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
clownfishdaddy

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• DCF1938C-1F0B-4C5D-A62C-5B372AB8B825.png
    DCF1938C-1F0B-4C5D-A62C-5B372AB8B825.png
    543.7 KB · Views: 100

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little difficult to distinguish marks on the fish from water spots on the glass of the tank or air bubbles in the water.

Fresh water dip can be a good diagnostic tool, but is no 100% effective as a treatment. It will not kill eggs that may be carried on the fish or in the gills. Praziquantel is the medication of choice as described in the Quarantine protocol sticky.

If additional blemishes show on the skin, you should monitor closely for possibly crypto/ich or velvet.

OP
OP
clownfishdaddy

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little difficult to distinguish marks on the fish from water spots on the glass of the tank or air bubbles in the water.

Fresh water dip can be a good diagnostic tool, but is no 100% effective as a treatment. It will not kill eggs that may be carried on the fish or in the gills. Praziquantel is the medication of choice as described in the Quarantine protocol sticky.

If additional blemishes show on the skin, you should monitor closely for possibly crypto/ich or velvet.
i woke up this morning to the dot that she has faded alot and is no longer a bumpand if i were to put her through a prazi treatment wouldnt that be uneffective long term since the fluke is already in my system?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i woke up this morning to the dot that she has faded alot and is no longer a bumpand if i were to put her through a prazi treatment wouldnt that be uneffective long term since the fluke is already in my system?

Generally, except on the eyes, you will not be able to see flukes themselves on the fish. What I can see on the blue tang are various rub marks. This can be from scratching, which IS a symptom of flukes. One treatment is Prazipro, dosed with good aeration two times, none days apart, with a 25% water change before the second treatment.

However, as @threebuoys said, there could be multiple diseases at once, show you need to watch the spots closely.

Jay

OP
OP
clownfishdaddy

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, except on the eyes, you will not be able to see flukes themselves on the fish. What I can see on the blue tang are various rub marks. This can be from scratching, which IS a symptom of flukes. One treatment is Prazipro, dosed with good aeration two times, none days apart, with a 25% water change before the second treatment.

However, as @threebuoys said, there could be multiple diseases at once, show you need to watch the spots closely.

Jay
if I were to set up a separate quarantine tank wouldn’t the treatment become useless once I dropped her back into my main display? since the possible fluke is sitting in the system waiting for a host?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i were to put her through a prazi treatment wouldnt that be uneffective long term since the fluke is already in my system?
if I were to set up a separate quarantine tank wouldn’t the treatment become useless once I dropped her back into my main display? since the possible fluke is sitting in the system waiting for a host?
Prazi treatment can go right into the display.

I can see the video. I don't personally have a good guess as to what's wrong with the fish. Strange behavior.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay
sorry to correct you Dr.Jay.
none days apart, with a 25% water change before the second treatment
9 days apart.

OP
OP
clownfishdaddy

clownfishdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi treatment can go right into the display.

I can see the video. I don't personally have a good guess as to what's wrong with the fish. Strange behavior.
i feel like an idiot for not knowing prazipro was reefsafe this whole time haha and she is acting completely normal you cant see those marks in person that came up on camera only a single fluke like dot near her tail is visible to my eye she eats like a champ i havent seen her scartch at all and watch that tank for hours a day

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back