Fluorescence coralline algae?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 10 months old, and so far I got a nice purple and deep red corraline algae growing.
However, I just noticed this on a snail shell.
I looks very much like corraline algae, but it is bright flourescence (spell check?) orange:

20211108_221105.jpg

Any idea what it is, if not corraline?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dying coralline algae can glow like that. It may white out after fluorescing for a bit. I would check alk and cal just to make sure they're good but this often happens as the tank reaches different stages of maturity some algae's will die off or be outcompeted.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dying coralline algae can glow like that. It may white out after fluorescing for a bit. I would check alk and cal just to make sure they're good but this often happens as the tank reaches different stages of maturity some algae's will die off or be outcompeted.
Unrelated, but my (almost a year old) tank had a sudden algae die off. Nothing horrible, just odd. All the specs and splotches of corraline still look like they always have, but a few days ago all of one of the types of algae turned brown.
I'm assuming it was just an abrupt change from one ugly stage to the next or I'm finally finishing up with the ugly part.
Nothing in my parameters looked all that much different than it has, so I guess that's good.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Dying coralline algea can flouresce a beautiful orange under blue lights ecspecially, before it dies

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh.
As you can see in the picture, there are some algae on the back and alot of it is dead, from the first few patches.
It is quite possible the algae acts differently depending on what it was exposed to.
The snail could very well have taking a nap at the waterline, with the shell exposed to the air.
To bad it goes away, as it does look cool.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back