Fluorescent lighting decisions... Need some community input.

Should I stick with T12's or make the shift to T5's

• T12's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • T5's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

diablomaster9045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reef!

So I am at a dilemma and can't decide on what direction to go.

So it's getting to the point where t12's are getting harder and harder to get. And at $30 a bulb and rising I am not sure the route to go. I can get 3 years worth of bulbs for $360 or I can shift to a t5 retro for about $400-$560 depending if I need new ballasts.

I absolutely love the color combination of UVL 454 and UVL Super actinics. I am currently running 2x 454's and 2x Super actinics to accent my 250w 20k radiums and reefbrites. I have been playing with the idea of swapping the t12's to T5's but not sure if I want to make the jump. I am worried about the par drop of swapping to the t5's due to my tank being 28" tall. Can 4x t5's make up for the par output of 2x t12's?

If I make the swap I will be driving the t5's with Icecap 660's. I was wondering if anyone else is running t5's on these ballasts? I calculated it out and it comes out to driving t5's at 110 watts. Or if I ran 8 bulbs in 2 bulbs per channel at 55w each. Has anyone tried this?

Also considering bulb options. Since I will have 2x as many bulbs to have and tons of more options in bulb choices, what would people recomend for 4 bulb combos that I can run on each side of my halides?

lighting setup 200g.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I know you said you love the UVL's and I understand, but personally I'd decommission the fluorescents altogether – all at once or over time, it's up to you....I'd use a light meter of some kind (lux or PAR) to manage the transitions so you know how big your changes are though – and either increase the coverage with either more 250w Radiums (+1 or +2) or by upgrading to 400w Radiums. I think I'd really prefer doing 400w Radiums to keep the same fixtures.

Just a thought. At minimum a bump for your thread! :)

OP
OP
diablomaster9045

diablomaster9045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah if my hood was big enough that I could get proper airflow and bigger reflectors I would probably go back to 400s. My hood on my reef is only about 16" tall total and no where to get proper airflow for 400w's. Kinda stuck with florescents until I decided to make the transition to Radeons. And I will probably do t5s in combo with the radiums.

I understand. :)

I think I'd still angle toward 3 or 4 Radiums vs the halide/fluorescent combo. Light from the Radiums is so excellently perfect. :) :cool:

If/when you switch, I'd switch to 100% LED so you get the biggest benefit possible from the switch.

Honestly there are a ton of great LED's out there, including strips that will do a great job at emulating fluorescent light if that's what you happen to want.

If you've only considered that one brand, make sure you shop around before pulling the trigger. :) AI, Kessil, GHL and Maxspect are some of the other popular makers of spotlights. GHL also makes very nice strips. Current USA has a complete line of high and low end strips, programmable and not. Many smaller brands make great lights too, so check out what some of out sponsors are selling!

Back