Flushing a newly plumbed system.

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering if after all the priming and cementing of pvc pipes and fittings, you guys flush the system for any length of time. This question came to mind while I was cementing my pipes and saw all of the excess cement that was going back into the plumbing. I was very mindful of the amount of cement I applied, but still I noticed it running. Does any of this excess contribute to added phosphates or silica in a new setup?....Just wondering...

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once cured it doesn't .
It's a good thing to let the whole system run for a day or two anyways to make sure you are free of leaks or things that you might need to change.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a firm believer in testing. After newly plumbing a system, I fill that system with tap water. I'll usually let it run for several days, perhaps a week. That give me a chance to fully test for leaks, as well as observing flow patterns, making sure that noise levels are acceptable, etc. If changes are made, I might even fill it with tap water a couple of times, fix the problems, refill, etc. Tap water is cheap. Salt is expensive :)

Once I'm certain I'm happy with the plumbing, sump, flow, etc... then I drain, wet-vac out whatever I can't drain, wipe clean, and start with saltwater.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back