Fluval 13.5 Stock light

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a Fluval about 6 months ago and am actually pretty impressed with the stock light.
This is the Birdsnest I ordered on 4/27/2021
Birdsnest when bought.png

This is a picture today 6/11/2021 right after the lights turned on:

Birdsnest now.jpg

I am glad I resisted the urge to upgrade the light as so far it has worked perfect for the corals I have tried in it. Obviously I understand there are still limitations to the light, but I think it might be a little better than people give it credit for.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to a point. I used it for about 2 years before replacing it with reef brites (lets you keep the hood).

It does great for low-medium light corals but the physical look of the light wasn't my favorite. Overall it does great for 90% of the Soft and LPS and does fine with the birdsnest and similar low light SPS.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree , nothing to write home about, but good as long as you don’t plan on growing anything really high end (certain sps, especially acros). My main complaint is that it isn’t very good for viewing. Whites are too white to show good color, and blues are too blue to see anything but the brightest corals. Wish there was more of an in between on it.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree , nothing to write home about, but good as long as you don’t plan on growing anything really high end (certain sps, especially acros). My main complaint is that it isn’t very good for viewing. Whites are too white to show good color, and blues are too blue to see anything but the brightest corals. Wish there was more of an in between on it.
You hit the nail on the head with that. The whites almost have a yellowish tint and you can't run blues and whites at the same time and that was a bummer.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hit the nail on the head with that. The whites almost have a yellowish tint and you can't run blues and whites at the same time and that was a bummer.
It’s not that I don’t mind having an indo olive torch or a rusty orange acan, but I bought a green or red one (respectively) lol.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to a point. I used it for about 2 years before replacing it with reef brites (lets you keep the hood).

It does great for low-medium light corals but the physical look of the light wasn't my favorite. Overall it does great for 90% of the Soft and LPS and does fine with the birdsnest and similar low light SPS.
I might do the same eventually, I really like the hood, keeps evaporations so low I do not even need an ATO.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might do the same eventually, I really like the hood, keeps evaporations so low I do not even need an ATO.
They sell 15" lumilight led strips on ChampionLighting that fit like a glove. A piece of clear plastic can provide extra support and prevent splashing but I printed my own brackets. I went with 1 50/50 and 1 antic and I only need to run them on 50% to keep SPS happy. Grabbing par readings this weekend too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back