Fluval 32.5 reconstruction

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Flex 32.5g tank with the stock items. I now realize that was a mistake and I plan to clean out the tank and start from scratch. One thing I am thinking of doing is having the normal built-in-filter lead to an overflow for a sump (10g) that I plan to put under the tank. I would have a refugian, a spot for a protein skimmer, and a spot for a filter sock or/and more filter media.

What I am wondering is:
1) Would this be too much filtration?
2) What would be the best way to execute this?
3) Is the Xyclone Protein Skimmer too big or would I be able to use it for this setup?

Any advice helps!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank for my daughter, over the summer I am planning on doing the following:

1) Cut out the AIO housing
2) Drill back + add FijiCube or EShoppe's Overflow
3) Plumb in a FijiCube sump

After it's all done, I should have a total water volume of about 45 gallons (32.5 (tank) + 20 (Sump) - (rocks +sand)

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank for my daughter, over the summer I am planning on doing the following:

After it's all done, I should have a total water volume of about 45 gallons (32.5 (tank) + 20 (Sump) - (rocks +sand)
Cutting out the AIO housing is a good idea! I might steal that idea from you, except I’m going with a 10g sump. Less space taken up and is still %30 of the display tanks volume.

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any luck on converting the tank? I just finished mine and it looks great!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck on converting the tank? I just finished mine and it looks great!
Unfortunately, this summer did not go as planned, so no, I didn't get around to it... Glad it worked out for you though. The reason I'd go with a 20 gallon sump is because you only ever really fill a sump about 1/2 way on average, so a 10G sump would only really have about 5G of water in it... give or take.

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this summer did not go as planned, so no, I didn't get around to it... Glad it worked out for you though. The reason I'd go with a 20 gallon sump is because you only ever really fill a sump about 1/2 way on average, so a 10G sump would only really have about 5G of water in it... give or take.
Sucks that you never got around to it, hopefully you do at some point. The 20 gal would have been better, but I don’t have the space for it. I barely have space for the 10g to be honest.

oliverandcharms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It went great, no leaks, just a couple of supplies I forgot to buy. My sump is a little creamy, but it works great. I’ll put pics when I get home.
That would be soooo great!! I told my LFS that I'm going to be doing it and they said it was a good idea so that I can have control over the flow. I'm also excited to gain a bit more real estate in the main tank. Would love pictures, especially of how you returned the sump water into the display tank!

oliverandcharms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It went great, no leaks, just a couple of supplies I forgot to buy. My sump is a little creamy, but it works great. I’ll put pics when I get home.
Only other thing would be knowing if you took the shelf out of the fluval stand and if you have any concerns if this brings down the stability of the stand itself at all? Thanks!

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other thing would be knowing if you took the shelf out of the fluval stand and if you have any concerns if this brings down the stability of the stand itself at all? Thanks!
Sorry that I forgot to take pictures, I will do my best to remember for this after I get out of school. Taking the shelf out does not take away from the structural integrity. As a matter of fact, I took mine out, then created my own little shelf for extra storage.

oliverandcharms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I forgot to take pictures, I will do my best to remember for this after I get out of school. Taking the shelf out does not take away from the structural integrity. As a matter of fact, I took mine out, then created my own little shelf for extra storage.
No worries! I'm just happy there's someone willing to provide info on a setup I'm trying to replicate myself!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back