Fluval evo 13.3 52L

Willba200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Am wondering who's got one of these? Had mine for a year and love the it. I'm struggling a little with hair algea (not much) but my zoas seem to struggle to open. I'm doing regular water changes, my ammonia is 0
Nitrate is 0
Ph is 8.0
I've added chemi pure in the last week to see if this helps. My duncan , torch coral , Kenya tree and other corals are fine. I'm also using the jaebo wave maker and there is plenty of flow. In the sump
1st chamber is chemi pure blue and filterfloss
2nd is the stock sponge that came with the tank. My question is should I take sponge out and replace with live rock or something else? I've read other people take it out.

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Evo 13.5 as my frag and grow tank.
I use floss, purigen and chemipure blue in the InTank basket in chamber 1. Nothing in chamber 2 and 3 except heater, pump and temp probe.
Your nitrates may be low because of the hair algae consuming them. What about phosphate? Cleanup crew? Feeding habits? Light cycle?
I tried the smallest Jebao wavemaker I could get (SOW-2) and even on the lowest setting my tank was like a typhoon and the corals weren't happy. Maybe try shutting the wavemaker downand see if they open if there is not another issue.
I personally would pull and toss that sponge....

20210107_181327.jpg

OP
OP
W

Willba200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think that's the best plan. What media do you use in your sump?
I clean it every few months but
I am running a Evo 13.5 as my frag and grow tank.
I use floss, purigen and chemipure blue in the InTank basket in chamber 1. Nothing in chamber 2 and 3 except heater, pump and temp probe.
Your nitrates may be low because of the hair algae consuming them. What about phosphate? Cleanup crew? Feeding habits? Light cycle?
I tried the smallest Jebao wavemaker I could get (SOW-2) and even on the lowest setting my tank was like a typhoon and the corals weren't happy. Maybe try shutting the wavemaker downand see if they open if there is not another issue.
I personally would pull and toss that sponge....

20210107_181327.jpg
Nice tank. Lights are on from 2pm till 9pm. Yes my wave maker is on lowest setting. I've got 4 hermit crabs 3 4 snails and a emerald crab. I will be taking out the sponge and going with advice on purigen. I change my filter floss every 2 days

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great little tanks. I run the InTank media basket in chamber #1 with floss and a 50 micron pad in the top section, carbon cubes and ChemiPure Elite in the middle section and bio balls in the lowest section.
Chamber #2 has my heater and a UV light that runs 24/7
Chamber #3 has just the pump (Sicce 1.0).
Check out my build thread!

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great upgrade is VCA's Random Flow Nozzle for the output, I highly recommend looking into it! So much better than the stock dual output, low price & no moving parts! I wojld remove the sponge as well, you want that beneficial bacteria in the tank on the rocks, not in the sponge. :)

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the stock light with a 50W NICREW HyperReef & use the stock light to run an algae scrubber in chamber 1. By far the best/smartest upgrade I have made. All you need is a piece of mesh and something to suspend it with inside the chamber. Leave the light on 24/7 and algae grows like crazy in there!! (But not inside the display) Hope this helps!

OP
OP
W

Willba200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see a pic?
I replaced the stock light with a 50W NICREW HyperReef & use the stock light to run an algae scrubber in chamber 1. By far the best/smartest upgrade I have made. All you need is a piece of mesh and something to suspend it with inside the chamber. Leave the light on 24/7 and algae grows like crazy in there!! (But not inside the display) Hope this helps!

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back