Fluval Evo 13.5 Build Thread

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have seen the designer "cross breeds" and reg o's females up to 8" long at breeders are old 10+ yrs though,had my pair reg o's 9 yrs female was 6" male was 4" in 240 long ,male died within 2 days of female passing,:(

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to throw some food In for the hermits? I have an evo 13.5 as well great starter tank. I plan on upgrading within. The year though lol

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to throw some food In for the hermits? I have an evo 13.5 as well great starter tank. I plan on upgrading within. The year though lol
I’m gonna probably try to feed them sinking food, but they seem fascinated with something on the rocks, maybe tiny hair algae or featherduster worms?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not too much ,want them to work on rockwork :)

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7: Clean up crew expansion!!
B8EA8645-B8A0-4EE1-B45F-ADA2E50BA4BC.jpeg

2112487F-77B1-4CFC-9EDB-0D5C043CC533.jpeg

A5AF8FEB-CD05-4527-A746-FF3FC0E10C14.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a clownfish that I ADORED it was so healthy and striking in color. I would’ve gotten it until the Petco employee refused to sell it to me, claiming the fluval 13.5 was waaaay too small for a clownfish, let alone any fish. I just rolled my eyes and hoped I’d see one that gorgeous somewhere else. However, I may have to revisit that Petco when its time to get coral. They actually had a real frag tank! With healthy coral! And some of their $15 frags were looking like they’d be $100 at the lfs, they were too beautiful. Also, there was not a SINGLE dead fish in sight! Whoever is taking care of those fish knows what they’re doing! They were even cleaning the betta bowls when I was there! Best Petco I’ve been to, I just wish they’d give me the darn clownfish!!!

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a clownfish that I ADORED it was so healthy and striking in color. I would’ve gotten it until the Petco employee refused to sell it to me, claiming the fluval 13.5 was waaaay too small for a clownfish, let alone any fish. I just rolled my eyes and hoped I’d see one that gorgeous somewhere else. However, I may have to revisit that Petco when its time to get coral. They actually had a real frag tank! With healthy coral! And some of their $15 frags were looking like they’d be $100 at the lfs, they were too beautiful. Also, there was not a SINGLE dead fish in sight! Whoever is taking care of those fish knows what they’re doing! They were even cleaning the betta bowls when I was there! Best Petco I’ve been to, I just wish they’d give me the darn clownfish!!!
i tried buying back phatom tetras for my 40G from petsmart once and the employee told me i could only have 4 cuz it says on their tag [minimum tabk size: 10 gallons] and he was like: so ur tank is 40G. (obviously he misunderstood the tank size and how the tag works) (didnt say this but was obviously thinking 40/10=4) u can only have 4 lol so i ended up getting a dwarf gourami

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried buying back phatom tetras for my 40G from petsmart once and the employee told me i could only have 4 cuz it says on their tag [minimum tabk size: 10 gallons] and he was like: so ur tank is 40G. (obviously he misunderstood the tank size and how the tag works) (didnt say this but was obviously thinking 40/10=4) u can only have 4 lol so i ended up getting a dwarf gourami
Chain store people....:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8: it appears this morning that something has gone terribly wrong. Something must’ve died and dissolved in the tank. My best guess could be the emerald crab. It’s possible the water wasn’t quite ready.....the sandbed is littered with green appendages. However, I’ll look for the emerald crab, because the body parts could be from anything (that’s if they even are body parts and not algae or waste). The snail is also missing, and there is a white slimy particle on the rocks....
In other news though, a hermit crab molted into a new shell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emerald crab is alive, but the snail is MIA, I think I see his shell in the sand. The green particles could just be waste, but there’s a LOT of it for a day of having these hermit crabs.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
poss emerald molted?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we must discuss a pertinent topic here now that we're dealing with a post cycle tank

if no disease prevention protocol is selected or applied, any fish here bought beyond clowns are 80% likely to be dead by Christmas. SW differs from freshwater fishkeeping in that the healthy lfs specimens still die in a home reef if no disease prevention is applied. It feels like it wont happen initially, they all swim normally

then one by one, by Christmas, culled to only clowns, though they looked great at the start.

what way are you going to take to prevent fish loss

a couple clownfish and at max a goby is the most we see ever pull off months without any direct tank preps for disease prevention.

Last edited:

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8: it appears this morning that something has gone terribly wrong. Something must’ve died and dissolved in the tank. My best guess could be the emerald crab. It’s possible the water wasn’t quite ready.....the sandbed is littered with green appendages. However, I’ll look for the emerald crab, because the body parts could be from anything (that’s if they even are body parts and not algae or waste). The snail is also missing, and there is a white slimy particle on the rocks....
In other news though, a hermit crab molted into a new shell.
Pictures?
Maybe we can spot something to figure out what might have happened.
Just to be sure I would also test the water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back