Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures?
Maybe we can spot something to figure out what might have happened.
Just to be sure I would also test the water.
At this point the hermit crabs have cleaned up anything “picture worthy”. I’ll definitely test the water for any spikes. I’d be shocked to see any. The snail could be burrowing. I suppose I’ll find out tonight if I see anything.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we must discuss a pertinent topic here now that we're dealing with a post cycle tank

if no disease prevention protocol is selected or applied, any fish here bought beyond clowns are 80% likely to be dead by Christmas. SW differs from freshwater fishkeeping in that the healthy lfs specimens still die in a home reef if no disease prevention is applied. It feels like it wont happen initially, they all swim normally

then one by one, by Christmas, culled to only clowns, though they looked great at the start.

what way are you going to take to prevent fish loss

a couple clownfish and at max a goby is the most we see ever pull off months without any direct tank preps for disease prevention.
What do you recommend I do for disease prevention? I unfortunately have no quarantine tank but i have plenty of things planned to add when my fish are introduced. I wish I had a quarantine tank, but i just wouldn’t be able to afford one currently. Luckily, I 100% trust where I’m getting the fish, as everything is in perfect condition.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the next best method after quarantine and fallow is exception tank aging + all live food diet. Meaning, hardly ever feeding them common reef fare from the same store. its visiting local market seafood, scallops, clams, $$, veggies, prepared.

and that wont beat qt and fallow for closing down the 80% loss prediction, its just better than not doing anything.

The people who can skip qt and fallow are using ocean water for regular dosing/boosts. they can add ocean mud, the life forms that come with it. they are only adding non qt fish to exceptional live rock systems covered in coral, so that food webs are in place to eat fish parasites and or suppress them.

keeping marine fish beyond a couple clowns and a goby isn't really possible for the masses, only the 11000 lucky or those living near the ocean willing to not feed frozen foods and dry foods. they might boost with them, but the actual feed is chef prepared human quality seafood $

I wanted to put a temper on the various fish being considered, they'll die.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 9: well, it’s been a week of the tank cycling and everything is wonderful! No spikes, no deaths (I found the snail last night. They bury themselves??), and the filter is doing a great job with the waste. After a few more things, it may be time to try my first fish!!

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only love the yellow tails as they look (sort of) like tiny blue tangs, and are very striking in color. I’ve heard they’re either angels or devils (reminds me of an African cichlid). I also love how inexpensive they are, given their hardiness and good looks.
I would be willing to drop it for something else, though I do like the idea of having a nice blue fish in there (especially with that vibrant yellow tail).
Maybe I’ll just do two clownfish, though the only thing holding me back is if they laid eggs.
Look into a Royal Gramma, they are hardy and keep well in nano environments. They have a striking purple and yellow blend of colors. I have a Royal gramma, a black clownfish and a skunk cleaner in my 10 gallon. Has been running for about 8 months now and everything is happy

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcoming my first two fish, Nemo and Comet!
5DE9D3F6-C67C-4AA3-B2AF-95D2A6CA6E2C.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconded, cover the hole, I run one of these as well as my big tank, that is a big opening and it would break your heart to find a fish on the floor. :)
I’m working on something to 3D print so that it looks nice and clean and part of the lid. I’m also working on 3D printing a random flow generator to replace the duckbill output nozzles.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on something to 3D print so that it looks nice and clean and part of the lid. I’m also working on 3D printing a random flow generator to replace the duckbill output nozzles.

Being serious about the hole, if you make it look nice you could probably sell them as it is a major design flaw with the tanks.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being serious about the hole, if you make it look nice you could probably sell them as it is a major design flaw with the tanks.
Yeah the lid is probably my least favorite part about the fluval. I’ve looked into replacement hoods myself, but then figured, hey, why not modify what I own??

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the lid is probably my least favorite part about the fluval. I’ve looked into replacement hoods myself, but then figured, hey, why not modify what I own??

Because it said reef capable on the box I went for it, I needed to replace a 14 G that sprang a leak.
No heater has always annoyed me!
I upgraded the return and have a powerhead, the lights are harsh but are fine for softies. :)

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it said reef capable on the box I went for it, I needed to replace a 14 G that sprang a leak.
No heater has always annoyed me!
I upgraded the return and have a powerhead, the lights are harsh but are fine for softies. :)
Yeah I was annoyed about the lack of a heater as well. I wound up purchasing a brand new heater. I was originally going to use an old top fin heater I’ve had for years, but it was just too bulky.
My other complaint is also the lights. They get quite hot and are pretty bright. Algae grows like crazy in there!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I’m going to Petco to pick up seachem phosguard for my annoying diatoms algae (it keeps coming back! I’m cleaning it every day!!). As you know, I love the looks of the yellowtail damsel, and if I can, would love to purchase one. The Petco I’m going to got a new shipment of yellowtails, and it’s very tempting to get one. I love the color and the activity one would bring into the tank. The clownfish I know do pretty okay with them, but I’m worried for the firefish. He has an established territory, and hides there often. He is getting comfortable to come and swim around, and I don’t want to take that away. If the damsel will really be a nuisance to the rest, I won’t get it, but what are your thoughts? Is it safe?

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I’m going to Petco to pick up seachem phosguard for my annoying diatoms algae (it keeps coming back! I’m cleaning it every day!!). As you know, I love the looks of the yellowtail damsel, and if I can, would love to purchase one. The Petco I’m going to got a new shipment of yellowtails, and it’s very tempting to get one. I love the color and the activity one would bring into the tank. The clownfish I know do pretty okay with them, but I’m worried for the firefish. He has an established territory, and hides there often. He is getting comfortable to come and swim around, and I don’t want to take that away. If the damsel will really be a nuisance to the rest, I won’t get it, but what are your thoughts? Is it safe?
diatons are good if managed at a low amount
but if u have an outbreak test
did u test ur phosphate if theyre high I would recommend PHOSPHAT-E from bright well I never used phosguard before but I've used phosnet which u think just GFO it works well for me. I've read that yellowtail damsels a fairly placid at least by damsel stand ards

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatons are good if managed at a low amount
but if u have an outbreak test
did u test ur phosphate if theyre high I would recommend PHOSPHAT-E from bright well I never used phosguard before but I've used phosnet which u think just GFO it works well for me. I've read that yellowtail damsels a fairly placid at least by damsel stand ards
Thanks! I may do a damsel and see how it goes, I’ll just make sure to not get attached to it. ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back