Fluval Evo 13.5 Build Thread

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve joined the site today and have been asked to about creating a build thread, and I think it would be a really fun idea! So i figured I’ll keep you all up to date with the progress!

Day 1:
Tank arrived! Can’t wait to fill this with water, sand, and rocks!
0AF3E966-4E28-4EA8-9713-102D9E5AB31B.jpeg

Day 2: Sand and water are filled, salinity is a bit high, so in my next water change, I’ll just have to fill with freshwater. The nitrogen cycle has yet to start, according to my tests, but I’m sure the die off of live rocks should help.
6D7C52AF-999C-47EB-94BB-D7A6F5A8CF98.jpeg

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve joined the site today and have been asked to about creating a build thread, and I think it would be a really fun idea! So i figured I’ll keep you all up to date with the progress!

Day 1:
Tank arrived! Can’t wait to fill this with water, sand, and rocks!
0AF3E966-4E28-4EA8-9713-102D9E5AB31B.jpeg

Day 2: Sand and water are filled, salinity is a bit high, so in my next water change, I’ll just have to fill with freshwater. The nitrogen cycle has yet to start, according to my tests, but I’m sure the die off of live rocks should help.
Noce whats ur planned stock for it?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning an ocellaris clown, a fire fish, a neon goby, and maaaybe a yellowtail damsel, though I know how aggressive they can get. That’s why he’s going in last.
I’m also putting an emerald crab, a couple hermits, camel shrimp, and turbo/nasarius snails.
Coral is going to be zoas, frogspawn, and Xenia. I’ve been eyeing a beautiful and healthy torch specimen at Petco, but don’t know the price of it, and also know it’s probably too early to purchase it. It is MASSIVE, though!
I do have a drawing of my plans, if anyone is interested.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning an ocellaris clown, a fire fish, a neon goby, and maaaybe a yellowtail damsel, though I know how aggressive they can get. That’s why he’s going in last.
I’m also putting an emerald crab, a couple hermits, camel shrimp, and turbo/nasarius snails.
Coral is going to be zoas, frogspawn, and Xenia. I’ve been buying a beautiful and healthy torch specimen at Petco, but don’t know the price of it, and also know it’s probably too early to purchase it. It is MASSIVE, though!
I do have a drawing of my plans, if anyone is interested.
u should do 1 ocellaris clownfish, 1 firefish, 1 shrimp goby + pistol shrimp pair avoid the damsel imo
the pair would look cool also whats ur salinity

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, because I just filled it, the salinity is 1.027, so a bit too high, but I’m looking to amend that. I’m scared about the damsel but the yellowtail is SOOO beautiful. I might drop it tho in favor of a clown pair. If not, I’ll add it last so it isn’t so territorial.
Aren’t pistol shrimp aggressive?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the goby story has gone like this- I was set on a pair of clown gobies, until I found out about how neon gobies clean pests, so love them. How are shrimp gobies? I want at least one fish that will help its aquarium.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.027 isnt too high typical salinity should be at 1.024-1.026 most ppl with coral do 1.026 or 35ppt
neon gobies are basically goby counter parts of cleaner wrasses
i wouldnt recommend the yellowtail as theydo get to 3" and need a tank size of 30 gallons
plus they tend to be more aggressive in smaller tanks (less space = more territorial issues) (less fish = more concentrated aggression and less diffused) (less space for other fish to hide or run)
@Sharkbait19

Last edited:

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, because I just filled it, the salinity is 1.027, so a bit too high, but I’m looking to amend that. I’m scared about the damsel but the yellowtail is SOOO beautiful. I might drop it tho in favor of a clown pair. If not, I’ll add it last so it isn’t so territorial.
Aren’t pistol shrimp aggressive?
If u want instead of the goby and damsel get a PAIR of sixline wrasses they wont be aggresive becuse the male has a female to control

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only love the yellow tails as they look (sort of) like tiny blue tangs, and are very striking in color. I’ve heard they’re either angels or devils (reminds me of an African cichlid). I also love how inexpensive they are, given their hardiness and good looks.
I would be willing to drop it for something else, though I do like the idea of having a nice blue fish in there (especially with that vibrant yellow tail).
Maybe I’ll just do two clownfish, though the only thing holding me back is if they laid eggs.

Last edited:

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. I always thought they were six inches (must’ve gotten mixed up from the name lol). Thanks for the tip!!

The thing is with all the “lined” wrasses is that they tend to be aggressive at TIMES. Its like what i said abt the damsel too plus the tank isn't really big either basically sixline wrasses are aggressive nasty fish (unless ur lucky or the tank is big or its kept with other aggressive fish or at least they can defend themselves) but u should prob stick to fishes like clownfish, gobies, blennies, assessors and all the nano fish their are (maybe some small wrasse) grammas, dottybacks, basslets,dartfish and such

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,in time years clowns get big esp. the female 6-7" but norm 8+ years,have seen live 14 yrs ;) :)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 16.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back