Fluval Evo 13.5 Build

bluebowtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First couple weeks have gone by and I am starting a dedicated build thread. I have an introduction post but with the modifications i just ordered figured this was a better area for help and ideas.

Tank Setup: Fluval Sea Evo 13.5 gl
Fluval Skimmer
Fluval M50 Heater
Zacro LCD Digital Thermometer
20Lbs Natures Ocean Bio-activ live Aragonite
12 lbs Live Rock

Upgrades: To be installed in the next week as they arrive.
Sicce 1.0 @ 251gph, New Return Pump
Hydor Koralia Nano 240, Circulation Pump
InTank Media Basket for chamber 1
Chamber 1 Filter Floss
Chamber 2 Boyd Chemi Pure Blue Nano
Chamber 3 Seachem Purigen

When I added the Live Rock I also went with Dr. Tims One and Only to "Help the cycle" hope it helps in the long run. Here is the tank as it sits today. Still deciding if I am going to purchase the AI Prime HD light or another type of light for the tank. Any suggestions on lights and or the mods that i have already started to get.

tank3.jpg

tank.jpg

tank1.jpg

tank1.2.jpg

tank1.24.jpg

tank1.25.jpg

Once the parts start to arrive i will be updating as I install them and then as the tank progresses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluebowtie

bluebowtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took one of the live rocks out, it had a funky looking area and I think the tank had to much LR as it was. Some of the tank parts came in and I got a chance to install them but will have the return pump tomorrow and will update how it compares to the stock pump. Have been testing ammonia and Nitrite everyday since adding Dr. Tims One and Only cycling bacteria and pure ammonia . Right away the ammonia went up and nitrite following, It took about a week to peak and then start to fall to 0 ppm. After it would fall to 0 ppm ammonia after 24 hrs for a few days, I added my first fish to make sure it holds and doesn't hurt the clowns I want to eventually add. Added a Yellow Tail Damsel and Two Hermit Crabs Yesterday.

Just put the InTank Media chamber in today, Filter Floss, Chemi-Pure Blue Nano,and then Seachem Purigen. I left the factory sponge/charcoal media in the second chamber for now, as I dont think i need to add my protein skimmer yet? I also have added the Koralia Nano 240 pump to the backside of the LR.

New Lay out
tank2.1.jpg

tank2.2.jpg
tank2.6.jpg

tank2.5.jpg

OP
OP
bluebowtie

bluebowtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Sicce 1.0 pump and salinity tester. Also got a cheap($8) sun system pump to help with mixing up my saltwater in a bucket.
166614ac56b1fd0300bc660babfd1c37.jpg
245fa2cfa6284adcd62b2f6fe16d5353.jpg

OP
OP
bluebowtie

bluebowtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas continues! Looks like all the good stuff.

Yea, I dont know if its a good or a bad thing with all these build threads at my finger tips. Everyone I read is done slightly different, and have so many good ideas. Hopefully this is all i need for the tank for a little while, however i do want to upgrade the light once i have some coral that need it.

Looks good so far! I am thinking about doing one of these in my office at work. Good luck.
Thank you, so far I am happy with my purchase.

Gerald Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First couple weeks have gone by and I am starting a dedicated build thread. I have an introduction post but with the modifications i just ordered figured this was a better area for help and ideas.

Tank Setup: Fluval Sea Evo 13.5 gl
Fluval Skimmer
Fluval M50 Heater
Zacro LCD Digital Thermometer
20Lbs Natures Ocean Bio-activ live Aragonite
12 lbs Live Rock

Upgrades: To be installed in the next week as they arrive.
Sicce 1.0 @ 251gph, New Return Pump
Hydor Koralia Nano 240, Circulation Pump
InTank Media Basket for chamber 1
Chamber 1 Filter Floss
Chamber 2 Boyd Chemi Pure Blue Nano
Chamber 3 Seachem Purigen

When I added the Live Rock I also went with Dr. Tims One and Only to "Help the cycle" hope it helps in the long run. Here is the tank as it sits today. Still deciding if I am going to purchase the AI Prime HD light or another type of light for the tank. Any suggestions on lights and or the mods that i have already started to get.

tank3.jpg

tank.jpg

tank1.jpg

tank1.2.jpg

tank1.24.jpg

tank1.25.jpg

Once the parts start to arrive i will be updating as I install them and then as the tank progresses.
Thisvis one sexy tank. Good work, I love it.

OP
OP
bluebowtie

bluebowtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d definitely go with an AI Prime, cause hats what I’m doing for my 10g!

That is what I will probably end up with, solid reviews and being able to use wifi to control it is nice.

Thisvis one sexy tank. Good work, I love it.

Thanks

Added x2 Nassarius Snail
3 more hermits for a total of 5.

Was unsure if i wanted to add any coral at this point, but got a Hammer Coral and a Green star polyp. First pics are when i just got them into the tank and then 24hrs later pics. The Hammer opened up more then

when I looked at them to buy, which is nice.
tank3.7.jpg
tank3.8.jpg
tank4.3.jpg
tank4.0.jpg
tank4.1.jpg

OP
OP
bluebowtie

bluebowtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not posted an update in a couple weeks, but here is the progress i have made so far. I have been running the fluval skimmer in my tank for about a week and have noticed it picking up a lot of crap/stuff out of the water, but seems like it creates a lot of micro bubbles. Still have to figure out a way to minimize them, since i am running the skimmer in bay two vs the first bay like it should be in. I am guessing the sponge filter in bay two usually stops them from getting to the return pump. Last weekend I ended up getting two clown fish from my local guy, unfortunately the yellow tail damsel had already setup a territory and was picking on the clowns. I ended up having to take him back to the LFS. Along with the clownfish I have added a Mint Hammer, Blue tip Frogspawn and a Torch.

12118.4.jpg
12118.5.jpg
12118.9.jpg
12118.8.jpg
12118.14.jpg
12118.11.jpg
12118.12.jpg

Katydives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not posted an update in a couple weeks, but here is the progress i have made so far. I have been running the fluval skimmer in my tank for about a week and have noticed it picking up a lot of crap/stuff out of the water, but seems like it creates a lot of micro bubbles. Still have to figure out a way to minimize them, since i am running the skimmer in bay two vs the first bay like it should be in. I am guessing the sponge filter in bay two usually stops them from getting to the return pump. Last weekend I ended up getting two clown fish from my local guy, unfortunately the yellow tail damsel had already setup a territory and was picking on the clowns. I ended up having to take him back to the LFS. Along with the clownfish I have added a Mint Hammer, Blue tip Frogspawn and a Torch.

12118.4.jpg
12118.5.jpg
12118.9.jpg
12118.8.jpg
12118.14.jpg
12118.11.jpg
12118.12.jpg

love this, have the same tank. Ill keep watching !

Gerald Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. You can try a small piece of filter floss or sponge if there's room. Otherwise, put it in the first chamber as recommend. Why the see second chamber anyways? Also, are you saving the rock space for anything special...if so, what?

OP
OP
bluebowtie

bluebowtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love this, have the same tank. Ill keep watching !
Thanks

Very nice. You can try a small piece of filter floss or sponge if there's room. Otherwise, put it in the first chamber as recommend. Why the see second chamber anyways? Also, are you saving the rock space for anything special...if so, what?

I have the InTank Media basket in chamber 1. I plan on getting some zoas to add throughout the rocks

Gerald Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

I have the InTank Media basket in chamber 1. I plan on getting some zoas to add throughout the rocks
Cool. A feather duster or two would look lovely too. Zenias and Palm tree Polyps are nice. Happy reefing dude! Will follow

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back