Fluval EVO 13.5 must have Add-ons

kiteski14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving this new hobby and find myself starring at the tank for hours when there was only live rock in it. I'm hoping to keep my Fluval evo 13.5 as 'stock' as possible but I understand that some upgrades are needed. So far I'm using the standard filtration and pump that came with the kit. I bought the BRS ATO that is on it's way.

I was wondering what else everyone would recommend primarily for filtration and pumps. I want this tank to be clean and I don't plan on over-stocking it, but I'm just looking for suggestions on what else I should add to get the best filtration (I don't plan on adding a skimmer as I've read it's not necessary for this size tank).

So far I just have two small blue legged hermits and a snail as I'm traveling next week, but plan on getting clown fish when I get back.

60091178205__763216E7-90E5-405D-83F3-0FDFB43DB7EA.JPG

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more bioload, the more filtration. Clowns are bigger eaters than say a fire fish or a small clown goby. And really, while people do keep clown fish in that small of tank, it's probably not best for the fish and you'll have to have more robust filtration.

With the one smaller fish (recommended to 10 gallons) you maybe able to stay very close to stock filtration - a little GAC maybe and 25-50% weekly water changes (3-5 gallons) to start and adjust as tank matures. Easy peazy! Go with some easy to keep corals and you may not even need a power head (although always recommended).

Sirlurkzalot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely plug the hole in chamber two and add a media basket with filter floss. This forces all water to go through the floss and cleans it very nicely. If you wanted to get fancier you could remove the lid and get an AI Prime HD light with a clip on arm. If you're interested I can post some pics of mine later.

OP
OP
kiteski14

kiteski14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only main suggestions would be the plug for chamber two, media basket for chamber 1 and a slightly higher output pump. The stock filter thing in 2 isn’t my favorite.

How would you recommend to plug the hole? I looked online and see a lot of people saying to plug it, but what can I put in there to plug it that isn't bad for the tank?

OP
OP
kiteski14

kiteski14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I fogot to add that I also upgraded the return pump to a sicce 1.0 (I tried the 1.5 but I couldn't get it to fit) and that gave me a LOT more flow.

Thanks, I asked already but what did you use to plug the hole? And also, with the Sicce 1.0, do you still think that a wavemaker is necessary for corals?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you recommend to plug the hole? I looked online and see a lot of people saying to plug it, but what can I put in there to plug it that isn't bad for the tank?

I 3D printed a plug and media basket but I know intank sells media baskets. flow directors and plugs as a bundle.

OP
OP
kiteski14

kiteski14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this
You can also buy a media basket from them if you like (it's pricey but does it's job well)

I've heard mixed reviews on the media basket because a lot of the water goes to the sides and it screws up the levels in the back three chambers, is this true in your case?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it, it even looks printed. I have media baskets in both but the first chamber seems to be working solid for me by itself.

Here is the print I did which does not go all the way to the bottom of the chamber... It does look a little different as it forces water all the way down through each level. Small strip of floss on the top (replaced every few days) which the water spills into, a full pad of floss on the 2nd shelf and then carbon/GFO if needed. A cheap alternative could be to use egg crate to make your own.

Sirlurkzalot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above (and in my one link with the plug) the flow director solves this issue and forces the water through the basket. In my case, I've not had an issue with water flowing around.

AquascapeNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I fogot to add that I also upgraded the return pump to a sicce 1.0 (I tried the 1.5 but I couldn't get it to fit) and that gave me a LOT more flow.
I have the sicce 1.0 also. I’m Thinking if downgrading to the .5 because for me the pump pushes more water than the sump can process. I have the 1.0 closed almost all the way and the water level in chamber 3 is almost down all the way to the top of the pump. Have you experienced the same thing?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the sicce 1.0 also. I’m Thinking if downgrading to the .5 because for me the pump pushes more water than the sump can process. I have the 1.0 closed almost all the way and the water level in chamber 3 is almost down all the way to the top of the pump. Have you experienced the same thing?

MJ1200 has the same issue and you can correct it by raising the water level overall by 1/8" (or more) until the flow rate through the weirs matches the pump. Before I had an ATO I knew to top off when my pump would occasionally spit out bubbles :/

motownjc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it, it even looks printed. I have media baskets in both but the first chamber seems to be working solid for me by itself.

Here is the print I did which does not go all the way to the bottom of the chamber... It does look a little different as it forces water all the way down through each level. Small strip of floss on the top (replaced every few days) which the water spills into, a full pad of floss on the 2nd shelf and then carbon/GFO if needed. A cheap alternative could be to use egg crate to make your own.
Has anyone printed this yet?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%

Back