Fluval Evo 13.5

Extract

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! After some research to determine what would be best for me to start my reef tank hobby, I recently purchased a Fluval Evo 13.5. I'm wondering what would be an ideal filtration system in the back. I bought the inTank Chamber One Media Basket, Carbon, Chemi Pure Elite, bonded Filter Floss, and some bio media rings.

filtrationsetup.png

This was the idea I had in mind of setting it up, what do you think?

In addition, I was wondering the best method I should go about cycling tank with this in mind - I was considering getting some high-quality live rock to add with live sand, but it says not to cycle the tank with it. Should I just fill the tank with dry rock until it cycles, and then replace it with premium rock? I know that bacteria thrives on the surfaces of the rock and replacing it doesnt sound right, so I'm not sure how to approach this.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2reef and congrats on your new tank!

I am not too sure why people are telling you NOT to cycle with rocks. That is almost missing the point of cycling completely. Nitrifying bacteria will colonize on any surface, so leaving out the rock while cycling takes out alot of space for bacteria to colonize. I would reccomend getting live ocean rock, or live rock from an established tank. Doing this will almost instantly cycle your tank. Then, get some dr.tims ammonium chloride solutions and dose accordingly. You could add bacteria, but it's not necessary, though it will speed up the process. Doing these steps should have a safely cycled tank ready in less than a week.

Dry rock is not the way to go IMO. It will cause problems down the road, like algae or bacteria outbreaks that could be avoided by using live rock.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
E

Extract

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are you adding? Are you adding coral?
I haven't decided on any fish yet, but I am definitely adding coral once it's ready!

Welcome to Reef2reef and congrats on your new tank!

I am not too sure why people are telling you NOT to cycle with rocks. That is almost missing the point of cycling completely. Nitrifying bacteria will colonize on any surface, so leaving out the rock while cycling takes out alot of space for bacteria to colonize. I would reccomend getting live ocean rock, or live rock from an established tank. Doing this will almost instantly cycle your tank. Then, get some dr.tims ammonium chloride solutions and dose accordingly. You could add bacteria, but it's not necessary, though it will speed up the process. Doing these steps should have a safely cycled tank ready in less than a week.

Dry rock is not the way to go IMO. It will cause problems down the road, like algae or bacteria outbreaks that could be avoided by using live rock.

Best of luck!

Without a doubt, I'll use ocean live rock. Would it be possible to order some of the premium style rock that has more life on it? Or would that stuff just die off since its not a mature tank? Since I have plenty of time, I won't add any fish or coral until I'm certain the tank can support them completely.

bambooshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't decided on any fish yet, but I am definitely adding coral once it's ready!

Without a doubt, I'll use ocean live rock. Would it be possible to order some of the premium style rock that has more life on it? Or would that stuff just die off since its not a mature tank? Since I have plenty of time, I won't add any fish or coral until I'm certain the tank can support them completely.
To better decide you should pick what fish and corals and fish you are choosing, because they might need different filters. Are you adding a protien skimmer? Those can help depending what coral you have.

OP
OP
E

Extract

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To better decide you should pick what fish and corals and fish you are choosing, because they might need different filters. Are you adding a protien skimmer? Those can help depending what coral you have.
Most likely a pair of clowns. No protein skimmer, I plan on using the filtration system I have above in the picture, so I was asking about how that looked.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, most of it will probably die off, not necessarily because it's a new tank. Alot of things are sensitive to being in air for short periods of time, and even, the shipping will cause alot of things to die off. So, you could buy premium rock, and some of the life animals/macroalgae may survive, but most of it will die off. This also really depends on where you get the rock from.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely a pair of clowns. No protien skimmer, I plan on using the filtration system I have above in the picture, so I was asking about how that looked.
Yup, there is no need for a protein skimmer in this tank. A pair of clowns is a great option, but, you  may have to upgrade the tank once they get larger. But you also  may not have to upgrade the tank.

OP
OP
E

Extract

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, most of it will probably die off, not necessarily because it's a new tank. Alot of things are sensitive to being in air for short periods of time, and even, the shipping will cause alot of things to die off. So, you could buy premium rock, and some of the life animals/macroalgae may survive, but most of it will die off. This also really depends on where you get the rock from.
I figured that would be the case. As for where to get it, I've been looking at a lot of spots such as TBS, KP, and Gulf LIve Rock but a lot of them are out of stock. Any ideas on somewhere else? "Live Rock and Reef" seem to have some nice looking ones too.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that would be the case. As for where to get it, I've been looking at a lot of spots such as TBS, KP, and Gulf LIve Rock but a lot of them are out of stock. Any ideas on somewhere else? "Live Rock and Reef" seem to have some nice looking ones too.
Yeah, unfortuantly the rock wont be available for a month. I am not sure of any other places that have ocean live rock, or at least a reputable one.

OP
OP
E

Extract

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm going to buy 10lbs from GLR this coming monday. (should I get 15lbs?). I have Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and an RODI system, does anyone have some ideas on anything I should do such as daily water changes? dosing anything? to keep the live rock in as best shape as possible in a new tank.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm going to buy 10lbs from GLR this coming monday. (should I get 15lbs?). I have Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and an RODI system, does anyone have some ideas on anything I should do such as daily water changes? dosing anything? to keep the live rock in as best shape as possible in a new tank.
15lbs may be a little too much, I would say 10 is a better number. GLR is great. No need to do water changes daily. 10% weekly is great. 20% would be even better. The only thing I would say you should dose is some form of ammonia. You could "feed" the tank, or add ammonium chloride. It's up to you.

OP
OP
E

Extract

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15lbs may be a little too much, I would say 10 is a better number. GLR is great. No need to do water changes daily. 10% weekly is great. 20% would be even better. The only thing I would say you should dose is some form of ammonia. You could "feed" the tank, or add ammonium chloride. It's up to you.
Sweet 10lbs sounds great. I'm not sure what I would feed, but I have heard of Dr. Tims ammonium chloride if that would work.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet 10lbs sounds great. I'm not sure what I would feed, but I have heard of Dr. Tims ammonium chloride if that would work.
Any fish food would work. Dr. Tim's is great.

OP
OP
E

Extract

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*bump*
What should the light schedule be while cycling my tank?

Also should it be blue light or white (I am using the stock fluval evo light for now). I’m unsure of what setting the light should be on with a timer.

Last edited:
Back