Fluval Evo Mixed Reef (Video Included)

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Fluval 13.5 Evo at 4.5 months old! I really need to find a way to made HD videos on my phone with YouTube.. Sorry for the blurriness. Any questions please feel free to comment.

Beautiful tank! I’m planning on setting an evo up in the near future. Are you running everything stock? From what I have been reading around everyone upgrades the pump to a sicce 1.0 and either adds some led strips or completely removes the top and get AI primes.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I’m planning on setting an evo up in the near future. Are you running everything stock? From what I have been reading around everyone upgrades the pump to a sicce 1.0 and either adds some led strips or completely removes the top and get AI primes.
Thank you!! Yes I did those upgrades! Got the jebao DCS 1200 and AI Prime 16 HD. Super happy with everything. I have seen some incredibly nice setups with just stock equipment but I think it is somewhat limiting and gives a more brown look to colors. Good luck and keep us updated

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! Yes I did those upgrades! Got the jebao DCS 1200 and AI Prime 16 HD. Super happy with everything. I have seen some incredibly nice setups with just stock equipment but I think it is somewhat limiting and gives a more brown look to colors. Good luck and keep us updated
I figured! I think I’ll just upgrade the pump and add some blue led strips under the hood, thanks!

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured! I think I’ll just upgrade the pump and add some blue led strips under the hood, thanks!
You may want to upgrade lights so you can turn one of the back chambers intoa refugium. I just clipped the stock light on the back and have it on a reverse schedule. It does such a good job I’m running 0 filtration.

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to upgrade lights so you can turn one of the back chambers intoa refugium. I just clipped the stock light on the back and have it on a reverse schedule. It does such a good job I’m running 0 filtration.
Interesting, I was seriously thinking about running a refugium and just adding some carbon and filter floss. The light upgrade would be nice but I like the look of the hood plus I imagine it does a pretty good job at preventing evaporation; plus I’ve had some luck with fish jumping out

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I was seriously thinking about running a refugium and just adding some carbon and filter floss. The light upgrade would be nice but I like the look of the hood plus I imagine it does a pretty good job at preventing evaporation; plus I’ve had some luck with fish jumping out
The AI prime does not run to hot so there is little evaporation! Plus another good reason to upgrade is that you will see many people complaining that the stock light breaks quickly due to salt creep. It makes sense seeing it has no like no protection guarding (you'll see once you get it). Perfect for the back of the tank though where no water splashes. I just got a custom fish guard for the top. It was like $80 or you can make your own. Works great - no fish deaths and I have lots of jumpers!

Nice tank! Very busy! Any fish yet or just the inverts?
Also, who was the shrimp by the hammers/under the pistol and goby?
Thank you! And yes I agree very busy - it is hard for me to stay simple with only a small tank. I want to get so much more than I can. This video was from 3.5 months tank age. A lot has changed since this - I added a black snowflake clownfish and there is also a tailspot blenny and clown goby but they are not in the video. The clown goby rarely comes out until I started feeding cultured pods. I have 8 shrimp in the tank. Pretty sure you are talking about the glass anemone shrimp or "white patched" anemone shrimp.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you rate the blenny’s personality? I’ve been looking for some 4th fish for my tank, ideally some kind of rock dweller.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you rate the blenny’s personality? I’ve been looking for some 4th fish for my tank, ideally some kind of rock dweller.
What size tank? I think tailspots are percfect for 10-50 gallons. They are typically your more docile bennies. If you have aggressive fish probably not the best choice. They love picking 3-5 spots and hang there most of the time if they are not picking algae off the rocks.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? I think tailspots are percfect for 10-50 gallons. They are typically your more docile bennies. If you have aggressive fish probably not the best choice. They love picking 3-5 spots and hang there most of the time if they are not picking algae off the rocks.
Fluval 13.5. 2 clowns and I will be getting a shrimpgoby.

Back