Fluval Evo size 13.5 Gallon- Filter & Adding Corals

sophiang25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! My tank did a fishless cycle for about 1.5 months and I finally added fish yesterday once my parameters were good to go.

I have the Fluval Evo 13.5 Gallon Tank.

I have a question about the filter media…I‘ve been using the original filter media and sponge that came with the tank. I’ve heard that i should remove that and use the InTank Caddy instead. What filter media do you recommmend?

Do I keep any of the original media since the bacteria is growing there? I just don’t want to make any abrupt changes.

I was told to do a water change a week from when I put the fish in and to change the filter then but I wanted to confirm.

Also, when am I safe to start adding easy Maintanence corals? Do you recommend a protein skimmer? I’ve heard Nano tanks don’t need them and a water change is good enough but I’m open to anything that will help!

Thank you!

Sophia

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for skimmer. Go for corals. GSP, Duncan, pulsing Xenia, pipe organ, leathers are some I've found to be easy.

You can stick with the original media. But changing it certainly won't nuke the tank.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Fluval 13.5 before I upgraded, I ran Chemipure blue nano packets (1-2 depending on nutrient levels) with the original bioballs that the tank came with and filter floss at the top of the water intake, I did ditch the sponge media holder for a 3d printed one I made, so I would say to upgrade this if you can

as for corals, you should start off with an easy soft coral like a zoa frag and see how they react, if it starts to grow then you can add more monitoring your parameters

I didn't run a skimmer on mine and just did water changes (which should be okay if you're just doing soft corals)

OP
OP
S

sophiang25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Fluval 13.5 before I upgraded, I ran Chemipure blue nano packets (1-2 depending on nutrient levels) with the original bioballs that the tank came with and filter floss at the top of the water intake, I did ditch the sponge media holder for a 3d printed one I made, so I would say to upgrade this if you can

as for corals, you should start off with an easy soft coral like a zoa frag and see how they react, if it starts to grow then you can add more monitoring your parameters

I didn't run a skimmer on mine and just did water changes (which should be okay if you're just doing soft corals)
Thank you! For the filter floss, would I just keep a part of the sponge that’s already in there or just get filter floss to put on top? I was going to get this:

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use the InTank poly filter floss with the white and blue sides as a first stage filter in my evo. It catches a lot, and I rinse it out every few days and replace it every month or so. A single sheet will give you... well half a sheet has lasted me six months so far and I wasn't really trying to stretch it.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! For the filter floss, would I just keep a part of the sponge that’s already in there or just get filter floss to put on top? I was going to get this:

I can't see the Amazon link sadly, but I use the green filter floss roll off of amazon that's like $15 lasts months, I just cut it to size works great

EVOREEFDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! My tank did a fishless cycle for about 1.5 months and I finally added fish yesterday once my parameters were good to go.

I have the Fluval Evo 13.5 Gallon Tank.

I have a question about the filter media…I‘ve been using the original filter media and sponge that came with the tank. I’ve heard that i should remove that and use the InTank Caddy instead. What filter media do you recommmend?

Do I keep any of the original media since the bacteria is growing there? I just don’t want to make any abrupt changes.

I was told to do a water change a week from when I put the fish in and to change the filter then but I wanted to confirm.

Also, when am I safe to start adding easy Maintanence corals? Do you recommend a protein skimmer? I’ve heard Nano tanks don’t need them and a water change is good enough but I’m open to anything that will help!

Thank you!

Sophia

Oh boy! I’m excited for you! Good luck with the new tank! This week I am following your footsteps and starting the cycle on my Fluval Evo 13.5

After months of research and really listening to so many that embarked on this journey before me, I decided to upgrade some key components for the Evo before I even started it.

-Read nothing but rave reviews for the inTAnk media baskets, so I bought both Chamber 1+2

- the inTAnk dual layer filter floss. Some sponge behind that. Mechanical media

-marine pure bio gems as the main bio media

-Fluval ceramic bio media

-chemipure elite for chemical media

I am still on the fence if I’m going to do a refugium in chamber 2.

I will be following your thread to see how you make out adding fish.

Did you do a natural cycle or used any doses or turbo starts?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back