Fluval Flex 9 Gallon

  • Thread starter Thread starter jbrock183
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jbrock183

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2024
Messages
104
Reaction score
36
Location
South Point
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add a protein skimmer to my Fluval Flex 9 gallon tank. Can I place one in the back compartment where the heater is kept? If so, what is a relatively inexpensive skimmer to get that will fit?
 
What kind of problem are you trying to solve with a skimmer in a 9 gallon? Just curious, never really seen the need for one at that size.
 
My water is perfect, fish and coral are thriving, water is clear but after I added a new live rock I started having problems with slime algae. The rock itself looks perfectly fine. I do regular water changes….The algae isn’t significant and it’s easily wiped off. But I just don’t like it. I thought a protein skimmer might help.
 
What would you recommend? It only grows on the back glass of the aquarium.
 
What would you recommend? It only grows on the back glass of the aquarium.
You added a fully cured live rock or a “live rock”? It is probably cycling again since your tank is so small. For a tank size like yours, a protein skimmer is not really effective imho. A water change does more than what it pulls. Plus most nano skimmers are so awful it is pita to clean, and get it to work properly.

It could also be lack of nutrient. You said your water is perfect but what are your numbers?
 
You added a fully cured live rock or a “live rock”? It is probably cycling again since your tank is so small. For a tank size like yours, a protein skimmer is not really effective imho. A water change does more than what it pulls. Plus most nano skimmers are so awful it is pita to clean, and get it to work properly.

It could also be lack of nutrient. You said your water is perfect but what are your numbers?
It was a fully cured rock with 4 different thriving corals attached to it. I have been advised to just let the algae grow on the back side of the tank since it’s probably just Coraline. I bought the tank from a pet store fully stocked and it had already been cycled. Fish and coral are doing great. Maybe it is best that I leave it alone?

I appreciate your advise!
 
It was a fully cured rock with 4 different thriving corals attached to it. I have been advised to just let the algae grow on the back side of the tank since it’s probably just Coraline. I bought the tank from a pet store fully stocked and it had already been cycled. Fish and coral are doing great. Maybe it is best that I leave it alone?

I appreciate your advise!
Coraline algae is a good sign. Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new