OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're off to a great start on your Fluval build!

I have the M60 that has been running for just about a year-and-a-half. They're nice tanks, but I also did some modifications to the filtration area, water pumps and a custom screen top. The recommendation for adding the ceramic media for extra filtration is a good one. I have a bag of the ceramic rings that helps with added biological filtration.
Are you planning on using the bulkhead for water changes? I ask because I do not; I like to siphon out any algae and detritus that gets in my rock. But I did utilize the bulkhead for my Auto Top Off; which I strongly suggest implementing on any tank.

Good call on adding the Gyre pump. I added an Ecotech MP10 for extra flow as the single return doesn't get enough circulation in the tank.
For your aquascaping, try keeping the rock away from the back panel an inch or two to allow water flow to keep the backside free from detritus build up. I only have three pieces of live rock in my tank that are stacked away from the back and the circulation keeps that area very clean. Starting with less rock makes the tank look empty but as corals are added and begin to grow out, these tanks fill up quickly.

As for fish suggestions, you have a good list.
I really like blennies and gobies.
Any of the small Ecsenius spp. blennies are perfect. I think the Starry Blenny is a good choice as long as it behaves itself. I had one that was a monster and it killed a couple of other fish, so adding it last might help against further aggressions. The Starry Blenny will mostly hang out amongst the rock work mostly perching on the top; gobies are better suited for the bottom of the tank.
A goby and pistol shrimp pair is very enjoyable to watch. There are plenty of nice looking gobies that form a relationship with pistol shrimp, so you have lots of choices there. I'm planning on adding a Rainford's Goby soon; as they are great at picking algae on the rock.
I have a pair of Bangaii Cardinalfish, so your pair of Pajama Cardinals will do great.
Other suggestions could be one of the smaller flasher wrasses. They will add some bright color and they're active swimmers; your list for now has less active swimmers. I'd stay away from a Six-line Wrasse; although small and cute, they can become aggressive towards new tank mates.
Other fish for color include the basslets, dottybacks and hawkfish (if you don't plan on any shrimp.)
I added a very small Lemonpeel Angelfish to my tank, but within a year it was too aggressive for such a small tank. They're such beautiful additions but eventually become the dominant fish in the tank.

Keep us posted of your progress.
Good luck!

@jlanger, thanks for the great information. I know I have an ATO set up, but I never thought to tun it through my drain. I'll have to see if I can make that change (considering that I have water in the tank which make make it tough).

Love the fish you have going on...I may have to do some more considerations. :)

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a photo, just for the heck of it...
image.jpeg

thelawnwranglers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STEP THREE: Waiting
First week of the cycle down...probably to many more to go (I'm guessing 2-3 weeks).

Not many major accomplishments this week. I went to my LFS and started doing my livestock planning. Here is the tentative plan (feedback is definitely needed and appreciated):
  • First: Pajama Cardinals (x2)
    • Main reason is for their passiveness, hardiness, and acceptance of pellet food.
  • Second: Firefish or Starry Blenny
    • I would really like the Firefish, I like the ability to have a few of the, and that they are peaceful, but without a lid, I'm afraid of having "jumpers."
    • Since the Starry Blenny keeps to the bottom, it may be a better choice.
  • Third: (yup, you got it) Clown Fish (x2)
    • I don't plan on getting the stereotypical "Nemo," I'd will probably get a Frostbite or something unique like that.
I still have to do my coral planning. Any thoughts on good beginners would be great!

Beyond that, I did make my DIY drip acclimator. Found the parts at my LFS today. Here's a quick shot:
image.jpeg

Used some hard tube, airline tube, drip valves, and a leftover Betta fish container. $10 and 10 minutes later...voila.

I did dose the tank with bacteria today, so I'll be doing testing and crossing my fingers that I can get some fish in sooner than later.
Great start - I would suggest the bulkreefsupply do it yourself screen. I cut old clear cd cases into flat strips and glued it to my screen to make a lip on top. Now my my screen fits flush inside of tank. I had clowns didn't think they were notorious jumpers woke up the first 2 mornings with my clown in the back sump, and I was just look that they made the sump and not my floor.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to a CUC, I only use the Scarlett Reef Hermits with Banded (Black Foot) Trochus Snails and Nassarius Snails.
I stay away from the Blue-Legged, Red-Legged, Zebra-Legged Hermits as they like to kill snails (Cerith, especially) for their shells.

David Abreu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a Father's Day present! Looks really good man... I've been looking forward to someone doing a build thread on the M90. If I were to give any feedback at all, it would be to maybe cut down on your amount of rock. That way it's not so much of a "wall of rocks". The cosmetic aspect of it is mostly just opinion... I have grown to prefer a more simplistic look. However, it should give you better flow in and around the tank if you don't just have one large wall. Sorry for the poor edit, but maybe something like this:

Wow your editing looks very similar to my tank... I too prefer 2 mountains over a full wall

1468887578644.jpg

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STEP FOUR: Start to break it in
It's been probably over a month now with water in the tank. Definitely taking it slow, but over the past week I've made few additions to the set up:
  1. Added a Fluval WiFi controller for the lights.
    • Although I've read mixed reviews about its ease of accessibility, I can tell you that if you're not constantly playing with it, it'll work just fine.
    • Now the lights are programmed at different intensities though out there day, with a moon mode at night. (Pretty cool I think)
  2. Got the refugium up and running. It now has the necessary algae, live rock, and Copepods just in case I get a Mandarin Goby in the future.
    • Notice that once that was set up, the tank started to get "dirty."
      image.jpeg
    • Detritus I assume (pardon the "blueness").
  3. So I decided to start a small clean up crew (two (2) little hermits)
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
So, I'm going to let these little guys do there thing for a little bit. My expectations is to go fish shopping next week. That should mean more colorful (and better quality) photos coming soon.

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to a CUC, I only use the Scarlett Reef Hermits with Banded (Black Foot) Trochus Snails and Nassarius Snails.
I stay away from the Blue-Legged, Red-Legged, Zebra-Legged Hermits as they like to kill snails (Cerith, especially) for their shells.
Started with the Scarlett Hermit's. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STEP FIVE: Livestock
Just got back from vacation and the first thing I did was go to my LFS, @AquaticaAquariumgallery, to buy my new fish.

I ended up going with two (2) Banggai Cardinals and one (1) Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

I did an hour long drip acclimation, so hopefully things go smoothly. Here's some photos of the little guys.

Acclimating:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In the tank:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'll give them a few weeks and how they do. I'll probably get a Goby next, then start thinking about corals.

Couple questions for discussion:
  1. Do you think a bicolor dwarf angel would be OK for the tank?
  2. What corals are easy to care for?
I'll definitely be digging through the forum, but I'd love to have folks chime into this thread. Thanks.

PCool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask how is tgd water flow ffom chamber to chamber since the only flow is from the top of each chamber ? Been thinking of this tank since it have better price but still concern sbout the flow . Your tank looks smazing btw . Thanks

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PCool, thanks for the compliment! I'll have to get some new photo's up soon (I just got some corals a couple of weeks ago). The flow from chamber to chamber isn't too bad. The first chamber has a bottom outlet, while the other two (2) chambers are top. Like most owners, I feel that the return pump is under powered, so I would echo that being an upgrade that needs to be done (although I haven't done it yet :)).

Overall, I highly recommend this tank. I'm glad it's my starter. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

PCool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for replying to my question. One more question : the divider is a glass or acrylic? What color is it ? Black or blue ? Thanks again
@PCool, thanks for the compliment! I'll have to get some new photo's up soon (I just got some corals a couple of weeks ago). The flow from chamber to chamber isn't too bad. The first chamber has a bottom outlet, while the other two (2) chambers are top. Like most owners, I feel that the return pump is under powered, so I would echo that being an upgrade that needs to be done (although I haven't done it yet :)).

Overall, I highly recommend this tank. I'm glad it's my starter. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

reefdreamers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new updates to this build? I'm very interested in this fluval. I have been looking for my next mixed reef tank set for my man cave and was stuck between the aio or just getting a sump. But after seeing this comes with everything needed off the get go i want one lol

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not resist reviving this thread, A.L.S. Thanks for some great information on your experience setting up your M90. I am considering purchasing the same aquarium and I found your measurements for the rear compartments especially useful. If you are still around the forum, I would love to hear how you feel about the M90 now, after a bit more than a year in. What you think worked well with the standard, included equipment and what you may have upgraded (and how the upgrades you mentioned worked out).

It seems based on the information you provided the display tank dimensions (minus the back compartments) are:

35.4"L x 12.75"W x 15.7"H

Is this correct?

I also wonder how the refugium worked out in the 3rd back compartment. I am considering a similar setup, but with an algae turf scrubber instead. Did you consider putting the refugium in compartment 2 and the skimmer in 3? Have you made any other changes to the back compartments? Anything you would have done differently looking back now?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

(edited for typos)

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies @NY_Caveman and @reefdreamers, I’ve been a bad reefer lately, and bad forum member. So, I’ll try to rectify that. :)

After a year of owning the tank I can say that I love it. For me, it fits nicely in my living room without being overwhelming. The stand (although very IKEA-like) looks more like a piece of furniture compared to the stands I see at pet stores.

My only negatives are the equipment that came with the package. Most owners of the system heed warning about upgrading the protein skimmer, light, and return pump, I was new to the hobby and didn’t want to overspend on a new tank...which was my first error. Upgrading those three (3) items are a must!

I’ve struggled as a new reefer to stabilize the tank (considering how small it is) and successfully creating the refugium (which I still have given up on). I’m convinced that this past year would have been significantly easier if I listened to the advice of other owners.

In regards to the tanks size, you nailed it right on the head (just remember interior dimensions would have to account for 0.25” of glass).

I think your idea of an algae scrubber is a good idea. Through my research though, you’d want your protein skimmer before a refugium/algae scrubber since you don’t want any excess waste to clog them and impact their effectiveness. I have debated since the Tunze nano skimmer filters from the top, of haveing something like that in the first compartment, instead of the scrubbing pad, would be better, but I haven’t fully decided.

Sorry for being long winded. Hope this helps. I’m sure I’ll be getting some upgrades for Christmas and I’ll let you know how they work out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Not long winded, but informative. I really love the idea of this setup. The size is perfect for my living room. I am very attracted to the tank, filter compartments and stand. The drain seems like it would be great for water changes and acclimating new livestock.

That said, the prospect of spending an additional $350+ on different lights, pump and skimmer make it less attractive. My research shows that the LED light also has no timer built into it either which would be disappointing. I am kind of wishing I could just buy the tank and stand combo alone for $4-500.

My research shows I could get a tank and stand with higher end LED lights and a solid skimmer for about the same price as the M90 kit so I may just go that route. Or maybe I will get lucky and find a used M90.

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Not long winded, but informative. I really love the idea of this setup. The size is perfect for my living room. I am very attracted to the tank, filter compartments and stand. The drain seems like it would be great for water changes and acclimating new livestock.

That said, the prospect of spending an additional $350+ on different lights, pump and skimmer make it less attractive. My research shows that the LED light also has no timer built into it either which would be disappointing. I am kind of wishing I could just buy the tank and stand combo alone for $4-500.

My research shows I could get a tank and stand with higher end LED lights and a solid skimmer for about the same price as the M90 kit so I may just go that route. Or maybe I will get lucky and find a used M90.

I’ll be honest, I got really lucky with my M90. I’ve always wanted one, but they are pricey due to importing cost. But one day I stumbled into my LFS and saw the kit plus 40# of aquacultured rock for $600 and I was sold.

One thing I will say is that you should buy the tank you love. As I’ve read through many forums, and barring any catastrophic failure, your tank is something you’ll probably keep forever. That being said, the tank cost is incremental compared to everything else, so don’t get hung up on price (which is easier said than done).

Also, just a thought, there’s nothing wrong in selling the kit included equipment items to offset the cost of buying the stuff you really want. And FYI there is WiFi light controller (which I bought, even though it’s not the best) to have automatic light cycles.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back