Fluval M90 build

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, you are saying you bought the wifi connector for the LED that came with the system? In other words the kit comes with the 2.0 LEDs? If so that is encouraging. Does it make it fully programable?

I could certainly use the stock pump for other needs so that is no big deal to replace. The stock skimmer I think should be sufficient for me if I employ an algae scrubber. Would you say there was room to use the stock LED lights with a second light strip? That may cut down the cost to add light to allow for future coral propagation.

You make some great points about buying what you love. I have researched this tank and others for months (being very patient in this endeavor) and I do believe this tank is perfect for our home. I just need to make sure I am still welcome in the home :)

If I could find it for $600 like you did it would be a no brainer! My plan is to move very slow. Set it up and cycle with live rock. I would give it a long time, say six months, before I would buy any LPS/SPS. Probably just add the cleanup crew in the interim. The stock equipment would probably be sufficient for that. Then, upgrades could be made gradually without ballooning the startup cost.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It is very helpful.

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, you are saying you bought the wifi connector for the LED that came with the system? In other words the kit comes with the 2.0 LEDs? If so that is encouraging. Does it make it fully programable?

I could certainly use the stock pump for other needs so that is no big deal to replace. The stock skimmer I think should be sufficient for me if I employ an algae scrubber. Would you say there was room to use the stock LED lights with a second light strip? That may cut down the cost to add light to allow for future coral propagation.

You make some great points about buying what you love. I have researched this tank and others for months (being very patient in this endeavor) and I do believe this tank is perfect for our home. I just need to make sure I am still welcome in the home :)

If I could find it for $600 like you did it would be a no brainer! My plan is to move very slow. Set it up and cycle with live rock. I would give it a long time, say six months, before I would buy any LPS/SPS. Probably just add the cleanup crew in the interim. The stock equipment would probably be sufficient for that. Then, upgrades could be made gradually without ballooning the startup cost.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It is very helpful.

Yup, my kit came with the 2.0 and I got the WiFi module on Amazon for ~$60 (prices fluctuate and I waited until it was less than $90). Believe it or not, the light is really bright. I max mine out at 45% during it’s cycle. The module does have cloud effects and you’re capable of doing a “morning”, “rest”, “evening”, and “night” periods. Only thing I don’t like is that in “night” mode, the lights never fully turn off, they just go to full blue.

I agree, if you run a algae scrubber, you should be good with the stock skimmer. Also, watch the spacing in your first compartment if you plan to run your mechanical filter media. I’ve learned the hard way that if you even have an 1/8” of space between the overflow and the “catch” you’ll miss the bulk of fish poop and you’ll be wondering why your levels are jumping up.

On a side note, I know my wife was apprehensive about cost, but after it was set up and she saw the other “cheaper” options, she was glad that we chose the M90 (it just looks pretty).

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Been pretty sure for about a month I would pick this unit.

And then, I saw about the new LUX aquariums. Feel like I should wait and see how they price. I am not rushing here anyway.

Saw that aquarium when I was researching the upcoming icecap gyre 2k. I was looking at the gyre 3k out now and was a afraid it might blow through the M90. I love the concept of having very high flow with a single slender device. Not enough real estate in the M90 for 3-4 powerheads. The powerheads and controller are also much more expensive.

The new gyre 2k, that was shown off on YouTube at an industry event, seems to smartly target the large nano market.

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I love my Maxspect Gyre. I’m running the 130 and it definitely moves water. Only bad part is there are a bunch of little pieces. I’ve forgotten to input a grommet once and it bored out the whole that held it and it started to rattle. Once I figured out my error, I haven’t had an issue since.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would mention, I got the okay from the wife and ordered an aquarium and stand today. In the end I went the JBJ Rimless 30 and stand for just under $500. It is a 24” tank which works best for its location in our home, but is about 4” deeper than the M90. Going to order an sBox Extreme 16" Wifi LED fixture to go with it which will easily allow me to keep SPS corals. Total cost of the tank, stand and light is comparable to the M90 price.

Just wanted to say thank you again. The information in this thread was very helpful to me in my research as were your thoughtful responses to my inquiries.

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would mention, I got the okay from the wife and ordered an aquarium and stand today. In the end I went the JBJ Rimless 30 and stand for just under $500. It is a 24” tank which works best for its location in our home, but is about 4” deeper than the M90. Going to order an sBox Extreme 16" Wifi LED fixture to go with it which will easily allow me to keep SPS corals. Total cost of the tank, stand and light is comparable to the M90 price.

Just wanted to say thank you again. The information in this thread was very helpful to me in my research as were your thoughtful responses to my inquiries.

Happy reefing!
That's awesome! I'm glad you were able to find something you liked, and more importantly, your wife agreed with.

Make sure you share the build thread, I'd love to see it.

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
I know that it has been way too long, so here is a quick update for those that are following.

Throughout the past year and a half I have lost a couple fish. Fortunately, it wasn't due to the tank itself. One of my clowns thought the party was outside of the tank, so one evening he jumped out. The other fish I lost was one of my Bangaii Cardinals. He had a hurt fin, which made him a weak swimmer, that he never recovered from.

I did think about getting another Bangaii, but found out that most were being harvested and they were (or are) on the brink of the endangered species list. Due to that, I decided to stay away.

The clown on the other hand, I knew I wanted to replace, but I didn't know which one and how to choose one that wouldn't fight with the lone clown. After a few months, I went to a frag show and found this little snowflake clown and I just had to have him!

2C89625C-ADF3-4BA9-80D2-8ADA3512A75A.jpeg

They may look to be similar in size, but the snowflake is about 60% the size of the other. Needless to say, once that little guy entered the tank, the two clowns have been inseparable.

Beside that, I have added a couple of yellowtail Damsels to add a punch of color. One tends to hide under my powerhead, while the other hides in the rocks. Sometimes they get a little rowdy, but my Goby keeps them in check.

Other than the loss of fish, I have been struggling with nutrition issues. I do make my own food for them that consist of shrimp and scallops (which they seem to like), but one day I messed with a good thing and decided to add ground pellet food for additional nutrition. BAD IDEA!

Shortly after the hair algea got out of control and I started to get cyano bacteria coating the rocks. Over the past month and a half I have been struggling to get it under control. It's still not perfect, but it's significantly better.
E2247617-117A-44EA-84BE-2E30F3C90921.jpeg

I have bought a couple of coral frags to try (which you probably saw on the first picture). I'm hoping that the lighting will keep them happy, but I am looking into upgrading in the future (hint for the wife;)).

Well, that's going to wrap it up for today. I plan on doing some upgrades over the next couple of months. As I finalize my plans, I'll make sure to share.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your jumper, but the skowflake looks good. Glad to hear the clowns got along.

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STEP 6: UPGRADES
Well the Santa brought some much needed upgrades for the tank!
BFDC6413-87A9-4329-B027-D79ED98C089D.jpeg

I was surprised at my ignorance to the VAST difference between the equipment included in the kit and the new stuff.

First off, the new 1.5 Sicce pump has a 358 gph, which is only 58 gph above the OEM Fluval pump, so you would think they have some similarities, but they don't. The Sicce pump is double in size with impressive flow. Either Fluval overrates their pump, or Sicce underrates theirs (probably the former).

Next, the Tunze protein skimmer, I can say only one thing about this skimmer.. AMAZING! It bubbles like crazy and it seems like I'm cleaning to cup every other day. I love it.

Needless to say, I couldn't be happier. Also, thank goodness my birthday is coming up... maybe that means my kids will get me new lights.:D

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back