Fluval M90 build

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few 5 gal buckets I always keep clean and around but I have one I use for salt water mixing or get lazy or just a reason to go to the local fish store and that houses my salt water I also have a 2 gal container that my local fish store gives you they charge you like 15 bucks for it but whatever that has my fresh water for top off

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few 5 gal buckets I always keep clean and around but I have one I use for salt water mixing or get lazy or just a reason to go to the local fish store and that houses my salt water I also have a 2 gal container that my local fish store gives you they charge you like 15 bucks for it but whatever that has my fresh water for top off

@oodan - so, after your first fill, you just maintain everything with properly labeled buckets and top offs from your LFS?

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@thelawnwranglers and @oodan, what about your initial fill? With a 36 gallon tank, did you buy something to store the large amount initially used to fill up and then picked up what was needed for maintenance?

thelawnwranglers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowes 5 gallon buckets with lid was cheapest options I could figure out. Depending on rock work you will probably get away with 30 gallons. I think I had 7 buckets and didnt need I want to say 5 gallons worth. When I started I bought pre mixed salt.

My LFS premix was only like 1.021-1.023 so I finally started making my own. I topped of with salt about a stadium cup full and it usually ticked me up about .001.

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same bud I bought 5 gal buckets I had a lil to much water forgot about all my rock work and win I first set up my tank I had almost 80 lbs of rock I fit into a 50 gal tall so win I got 50 gal of pre made salt water from my local fish store I had a lot of water left over but it was better to have to much then not enuff but new buckets from Home Depot is where I got them from lowes what ever the lowes is far from me so your call

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have any pic of the tank new was a while ago but this was the tank win it had alot of liverock
image.jpg

thelawnwranglers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same bud I bought 5 gal buckets I had a lil to much water forgot about all my rock work and win I first set up my tank I had almost 80 lbs of rock I fit into a 50 gal tall so win I got 50 gal of pre made salt water from my local fish store I had a lot of water left over but it was better to have to much then not enuff but new buckets from Home Depot is where I got them from lowes what ever the lowes is far from me so your call
Lowe's is basically the same as homedepot big box hardware store, but their buckets are blue not orange so I had to go there lol

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STEP THREE: The big set up
After the unexpected delay, I finally got my SpectraPure 4-stage RO/DI unit. And after several trips to Lowe's, I was able to get my plumbing split properly and the unit installed. Installation was a snap. Just screw the black hose just like you would a garden hose, attach your red and yellow hose to the appropriate joints, and you are good to go!
image.jpeg

I purchased a 32 gallon trash can ($12 on sale at Lowe's) for the temporary storage and mixing of RO/DI water and salt. After a fun filled day I was able to begin transport of my new saltwater to its home.

image.jpeg

I purchased some BPA free 7 gallon containers for long term storage of saltwater. While transferring, I filled up my ATO reservoir to make good use of my time.

I hired some cheap labor to help put in the sand...:D

image.jpeg

Biggest change from my initial set-up would be the MaxSpec Gyre that you see in the photo. When I put in the Fluval power head it detracted from the tank. I tried to hide it, but to no avail, so I opted to go with the Gyre 130 instead. I've read mixed reviews about the quality, but everyone seemed to love the flow it created and how it minimized dead spots. I'll still be playing with the positioning and power setting while the tank cycles.

After a long and slow weekend, here she is:
image.jpeg

Love to hear your thoughts and comments.

thelawnwranglers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the powerhead change. The fluval will still be very useful for salt mixing and backup. Where did you get the 7 gallon containers? Also why temporary on the 32 gallon brute? My next step is an RO/DI. I purchase from LFS currently.

Are we cycling?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The setup is coming along nicely.

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oodan, I'm looking forward to getting life in there too. Of course I'm playing it cautiously since I don't want to kill anything either. :D

@thelawnwranglers, yup it's cycling now. I'm a little concerned since I didn't "officially" cure the rocks, but being aquacultured, I'm hoping that they are more stable than from the ocean. The only reason I say "temporary" is that it's not an official Brute container. Being a Lowe's Blue Hawk brand, I'm uncertain on any chemical leakage if salt water is stored to long. maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but that's they way I am. Additionally, I picked up the blue 7-gallon containers at ***** Sporting Goods. I hunk they were about $15, which wasn't to bad.

@jsker, thanks. Definitely learning a lot as I go.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oodan, I'm looking forward to getting life in there too. Of course I'm playing it cautiously since I don't want to kill anything either. :D

@thelawnwranglers, yup it's cycling now. I'm a little concerned since I didn't "officially" cure the rocks, but being aquacultured, I'm hoping that they are more stable than from the ocean. The only reason I say "temporary" is that it's not an official Brute container. Being a Lowe's Blue Hawk brand, I'm uncertain on any chemical leakage if salt water is stored to long. maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but that's they way I am. Additionally, I picked up the blue 7-gallon containers at ***** Sporting Goods. I hunk they were about $15, which wasn't to bad.

@jsker, thanks. Definitely learning a lot as I go.
:)

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STEP THREE: Waiting
First week of the cycle down...probably to many more to go (I'm guessing 2-3 weeks).

Not many major accomplishments this week. I went to my LFS and started doing my livestock planning. Here is the tentative plan (feedback is definitely needed and appreciated):
  • First: Pajama Cardinals (x2)
    • Main reason is for their passiveness, hardiness, and acceptance of pellet food.
  • Second: Firefish or Starry Blenny
    • I would really like the Firefish, I like the ability to have a few of the, and that they are peaceful, but without a lid, I'm afraid of having "jumpers."
    • Since the Starry Blenny keeps to the bottom, it may be a better choice.
  • Third: (yup, you got it) Clown Fish (x2)
    • I don't plan on getting the stereotypical "Nemo," I'd will probably get a Frostbite or something unique like that.
I still have to do my coral planning. Any thoughts on good beginners would be great!

Beyond that, I did make my DIY drip acclimator. Found the parts at my LFS today. Here's a quick shot:
image.jpeg

Used some hard tube, airline tube, drip valves, and a leftover Betta fish container. $10 and 10 minutes later...voila.

I did dose the tank with bacteria today, so I'll be doing testing and crossing my fingers that I can get some fish in sooner than later.

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome I have a fire fish to good choice love the top fin and color he is my most passive fish I own he gets the crumbs win I feed I have 2 clowns and they are lil hogs they will snatch a cube out of my hand before I can get into the tank lol go for it a goby is also nice also do you have any cleaning crew yet ?

OP
OP
A.L.S.

A.L.S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome I have a fire fish to good choice love the top fin and color he is my most passive fish I own he gets the crumbs win I feed I have 2 clowns and they are lil hogs they will snatch a cube out of my hand before I can get into the tank lol go for it a goby is also nice also do you have any cleaning crew yet ?

Not yet....still doing the research on that as well. Any suggestions?

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're off to a great start on your Fluval build!

I have the M60 that has been running for just about a year-and-a-half. They're nice tanks, but I also did some modifications to the filtration area, water pumps and a custom screen top. The recommendation for adding the ceramic media for extra filtration is a good one. I have a bag of the ceramic rings that helps with added biological filtration.
Are you planning on using the bulkhead for water changes? I ask because I do not; I like to siphon out any algae and detritus that gets in my rock. But I did utilize the bulkhead for my Auto Top Off; which I strongly suggest implementing on any tank.

Good call on adding the Gyre pump. I added an Ecotech MP10 for extra flow as the single return doesn't get enough circulation in the tank.
For your aquascaping, try keeping the rock away from the back panel an inch or two to allow water flow to keep the backside free from detritus build up. I only have three pieces of live rock in my tank that are stacked away from the back and the circulation keeps that area very clean. Starting with less rock makes the tank look empty but as corals are added and begin to grow out, these tanks fill up quickly.

As for fish suggestions, you have a good list.
I really like blennies and gobies.
Any of the small Ecsenius spp. blennies are perfect. I think the Starry Blenny is a good choice as long as it behaves itself. I had one that was a monster and it killed a couple of other fish, so adding it last might help against further aggressions. The Starry Blenny will mostly hang out amongst the rock work mostly perching on the top; gobies are better suited for the bottom of the tank.
A goby and pistol shrimp pair is very enjoyable to watch. There are plenty of nice looking gobies that form a relationship with pistol shrimp, so you have lots of choices there. I'm planning on adding a Rainford's Goby soon; as they are great at picking algae on the rock.
I have a pair of Bangaii Cardinalfish, so your pair of Pajama Cardinals will do great.
Other suggestions could be one of the smaller flasher wrasses. They will add some bright color and they're active swimmers; your list for now has less active swimmers. I'd stay away from a Six-line Wrasse; although small and cute, they can become aggressive towards new tank mates.
Other fish for color include the basslets, dottybacks and hawkfish (if you don't plan on any shrimp.)
I added a very small Lemonpeel Angelfish to my tank, but within a year it was too aggressive for such a small tank. They're such beautiful additions but eventually become the dominant fish in the tank.

Keep us posted of your progress.
Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back