Fluval Marine reef 3.0 review

Enjoizero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all those curious I’m doing a review of the Fluval Marine reef 3.0 for a low tech light it’s pretty good, the app is decent although without a par meter you might find yourself lost adjusting the spectrums the light by itself will support softies however for any LPS and SPS corals I would strongly suggest extra lighting seems pretty durable has a excellent water resistant rating of IP67 so it could be submerged and still be fine, I would recomend having this light directly above the water using the mounting legs it gives you and unobstructed from water as this light is not the strongest but not the worst by the time you get to 18” the PAR reading is around 55 so water penetration is not the best, At 3": PAR=390, At 12": PAR=102 this will get the job done for softies the blue spectrum on this light is fantastic the app has a sunrise and sunset mode witch works great I would recomend this light to new hobbyists as it is easy and user friendly and can maintain softies and if you want to get in to LPS or SPS and anemones you will need to add lighting that about sums it up thanks for reading feel free to hit me with more questions! The pictures are corals I have maintained under this light and this light only.

9B43E768-792A-4950-B6C2-F055557F165F.jpeg

5996D5C7-9AB4-4A79-B2CD-E809843B3CF8.jpeg

902AEFB4-D088-49E6-A234-F1F040FA69CB.jpeg

OP
OP
Enjoizero

Enjoizero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one and it works great my leathers softies grow well under this light. I've got a couple of lps that doing well.(blastos). Agree user friendly and the sunrise and sunset is a nice touch .
I have seen this light at the LFS maintaining hammers, blasto, and frogspawn so I think it can be done with high placement in the tank that’s cool that your having success I might try out something soon then... iv heard that the app is going to have a update coming soon with some sort of cloud coverage mode and storm mode should be interesting to see what comes.

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been looking for information on these lights and your review was really helpful. I'm setting up a small 36 bow front and was considering one or two of these since I rent and cannot hang any lights, plus my wife will not allow any goose neck type mounts.... Do you think 2 of these would support a LPS and softie set up? I was thinking about getting a hammer Duncan and some kenya trees but lighting options are pretty limited due to the center brace on my tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got some LPS and hosts of softies zoas, finger devils hand toadstool gsp and shrooms . Before dino Duncan's were doing really well .

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll be looking out for sales with black friday coming up. I'll post pics of any progress with these lights. Thanks!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some petsmart you can find items on sale with pet perks . I just picked up the flual fx4 for 199. That's 79 off.

OP
OP
Enjoizero

Enjoizero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been looking for information on these lights and your review was really helpful. I'm setting up a small 36 bow front and was considering one or two of these since I rent and cannot hang any lights, plus my wife will not allow any goose neck type mounts.... Do you think 2 of these would support a LPS and softie set up? I was thinking about getting a hammer Duncan and some kenya trees but lighting options are pretty limited due to the center brace on my tank.
Yeah you should be fine I would just make sure you have ample middle to top spots for the LPS corals if you have 2 lights on a 36g I’m sure that would do plenty, mines a single light above a 55g and all my corals are doing great there’s all softies tho.

Scotbot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m growing coral like hell splitting regrowing like you wouldn’t believe running this light on a 250 reefer getting better results than with the kesil 350tb’s I got with the tank softies zoas Kenya’s GSP four different types cloves Xenia’s I have a torch garden on the bed growing heads and a hammer garden too as well as some huge nems carpet and condy and bubble tips growing well.

Scotbot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m growing coral like hell splitting regrowing like you wouldn’t believe running this light on a 250 reefer getting better results than with the kesil 350tb’s I got with the tank softies zoas Kenya’s GSP four different types cloves Xenia’s I have a torch garden on the bed growing heads and a hammer garden too as well as some huge nems carpet and condy and bubble tips growing well.
D07FFA94-2426-4386-BE19-318EBEFBBB76.jpeg
16B4E851-BA67-4AB0-891E-47842AD45606.jpeg

E4CC015F-B2D8-4373-94B4-0537BAB651E6.jpeg

E7866955-0C91-4C22-8D2D-A816053C9D4D.jpeg

AD5997D6-2081-4D15-AA3B-B94AA6986841.jpeg

89CCD7C3-246A-41F6-952B-9E98AF9A4ECA.jpeg

AoD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scotbot What are your settings for daytime? I have this light too and I really like it but I’d like to hear how other reefers are running them. Especially from you, your tank looks awesome!

Scotbot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scotbot What are your settings for daytime? I have this light too and I really like it but I’d like to hear how other reefers are running them. Especially from you, your tank looks awesome!

Hi pal thanks and I’m abroad at the minute so can’t get on my app but when I’m back next week I’ll screenshot my settings and send them to you

Valven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run this light as well as 2 Kessil A150-Sky Blues. I have a feeling that this is not sufficient enough lighting for the coral I have. To list a few, I have about 6-7 zoa frags, Blasto, hammer, 4 Acan lord frags, 3 encrusting frags, a couple Montipora and a green Slimer Acropora coral frag.

Light schedule is 10:30am-8:30pm the Fluval does a sunrise and sunset and then the Kessils turn on around 2pm-6pm. Right now I have the Fluval with all light values at max.

Any suggestions or recommendations are most welcome! Thanks!!

Scotbot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run this light as well as 2 Kessil A150-Sky Blues. I have a feeling that this is not sufficient enough lighting for the coral I have. To list a few, I have about 6-7 zoa frags, Blasto, hammer, 4 Acan lord frags, 3 encrusting frags, a couple Montipora and a green Slimer Acropora coral frag.

Light schedule is 10:30am-8:30pm the Fluval does a sunrise and sunset and then the Kessils turn on around 2pm-6pm. Right now I have the Fluval with all light values at max.

Any suggestions or recommendations are most welcome! Thanks!!
What size tank have you got pal coz that’s a lot of lightning for them sort of corals to thrive maybe a bit too much depending on tank size they might need turning down?

Valven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank have you got pal coz that’s a lot of lightning for them sort of corals to thrive maybe a bit too much depending on tank size they might need turning down?

Don’t know why I forgot to add that. I have standard 75g. 48”x18”x21”

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like they fixed the switch button problem and wifi glitches by going bluetooth. Also, they used to publish the par and numbers bug I couldn't find them on their website for these

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back