Fluval mini skimmer trouble shooting

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’ve had this skimmer for almost two months now and I legit can’t figure out my issue with it, it constantly makes micro bubbles in my tank still and the skimmer itself is legit impossible to ever dial in, it either has a zero or 100 mode where the bubbles just come non stop filling up the cup to the brim or it won’t work at all, no matter how I shift the air nozzle or the water intake it’s either a full cup of water or the skimmer can’t work, I’m grasping at straws to try and fix it I adjusted my water level to the exact one recommended and I’m still at a loss. If anyone has any recommendations I’d appreciate it.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say this with all sincerity.... Get a better skimmer, you'll never get that thing dialed in properly.
Ive been considering this but I don’t know of any skimmer that would fit the fluval 13.5 similar to how the fluval skimmer does.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been considering this but I don’t know of any skimmer that would fit the fluval 13.5 similar to how the fluval skimmer does.
Not many options for sure. In that sized tank though the benefits of a really good skimmer are debatable.... There benefits of a so-so skimmer that actually fits are next to nothing.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many options for sure. In that sized tank though the benefits of a really good skimmer are debatable.... There benefits of a so-so skimmer that actually fits are next to nothing.
Can you elaborate on what you mean the benefits of a good skimmer being debatable? I have read many people don’t think tanks below 20 gallons need skimmers which I’ve been doing weekly to bi weekly water changes anyways what would be a better option to use that chamber for if not a skimmer then?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on what you mean the benefits of a good skimmer being debatable? I have read many people don’t think tanks below 20 gallons need skimmers which I’ve been doing weekly to bi weekly water changes anyways what would be a better option to use that chamber for if not a skimmer then?
Exactly. With such a small water volume you can do quick easy 20% water changes weekly.
Not sure what you already run, but why does that chamber need to run anything?
Sometimes simplicity is best.

minireefcameo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a long time ago and I'm sure you have this figured out by now but I'm going to just drop this here for future people who come across this thread.
A consensus amongst experienced Evo owners is that a media basket is the best option for chamber one.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back