FO vs FOWLR

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have some experience keeping reefs but no experience with with only systems.

My friend just got a new house with a built in 210 gallon in wall tank. They are asking me to set it up for them.

They are not interested in corals right now due to the higher cost which leaves 2 options. FO or FOWLR.

My first instinct is to set it up FOWLR since my experience is with reef tanks.

The issue is that the system is set up as an FO system currently with inserts and bio balls.

Preliminary stocking includes:

2 maroon clowns

1 yellow tang

1 blue hippo tang

1 porcine puffer

1 Melanarius wrasse

1 diamond goby

1 lawnmower blenny

1 fairy wrasse (solar)

1 coris wrasse

2 fire fish

1 dwarf angel (coral beauty)

1 long nose hawk fish

Should I leave the system as is or pull the inserts and fill it with rock?

Does it make sense for us to spend the 1-2k on upgrading the system for FOWLR or can we keep using it FO?

We are looking for the lowest maintenance possible. Water changes will only be once a month at the most since I'll be servicing it for them.

What do you guys think?
3491f966758ce0bdfbc9b9c7e4e879b5.jpg
655c7adea17e88a8bbcfcda51c839ed1.jpg
f5c562c75c964f9940d593040e7c7514.jpg

Last edited:

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR tanks tend to make a lot of nutrients. Doesn't effect the fish much but it will get unpleasing to the eyes later on.

Skimmer, carbon, GFO, and bio pellets would be my suggestion. Will need an RO unit if it's not already there.

I wouldn't care about the bio balls. I have them on my reef tank now with a skimmer and ATS. Still don't understand the bad rap they get but I know it will handle an ammonia spike like no one's business. <------- you could just do this also.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR tanks tend to make a lot of nutrients. Doesn't effect the fish much but it will get unpleasing to the eyes later on.

Skimmer, carbon, GFO, and bio pellets would be my suggestion. Will need an RO unit if it's not already there.

I wouldn't care about the bio balls. I have them on my reef tank now with a skimmer and ATS. Still don't understand the bad rap they get but I know it will handle an ammonia spike like no one's business. <------- you could just do this also.
The appearance is my biggest concern with FOWLR. I am worried about algae for sure. This is the first thing you see when walking into the multi million dollar home so it has to look nice.

If I keep the current bioball set up, could I just run an external skimmer and reactor?

Any external ats you recommend?

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I stick with FO and inserts would leaving the bio balls and adding in a Clear Water 200 external scrubber and RO 200EX skimmer work well?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock should repel undesirable algae and maintain a nice appearance over time where the ridiculous inserts usually need to be bleached a couple times a month.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock should repel undesirable algae and maintain a nice appearance over time where the ridiculous inserts usually need to be bleached a couple times a month.
I have only used rock before. So you think rock will actually be less work than the inserts?

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I stick with FO and inserts would leaving the bio balls and adding in a Clear Water 200 external scrubber and RO 200EX skimmer work well?

This looks good but I would use rock for sure. Since it's just fish only I would probably use dry rock.

The inserts would be more work.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, If I were you, I would use the highest quality live rock you can find, stay away from the dead rock, also add some real live sand from the ocean if you can find it, check to see what kind of lighting they have , and if need be upgrade it to the best lighting they can afford. If the protein skimmer is good keep and use it, check the pumps and make sure you have adequate flow, does the tank need a chiller or heater, as these are a few of the things I would look into. One more thing, is their room for a bigger sump and fuge? Hope this will help you.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, If I were you, I would use the highest quality live rock you can find, stay away from the dead rock, also add some real live sand from the ocean if you can find it, check to see what kind of lighting they have , and if need be upgrade it to the best lighting they can afford. If the protein skimmer is good keep and use it, check the pumps and make sure you have adequate flow, does the tank need a chiller or heater, as these are a few of the things I would look into. One more thing, is their room for a bigger sump and fuge? Hope this will help you.
I'm running an a check of all equipment today. I've put together a list of upgrades for the owner to review. Most likely start with the skimmer.

I would not add live rock though, I am a big believer in dry rock personally.

I'll try to add as much rock as is visually acceptable to the owner. Thanks for the input.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely use rock but that doesn't mean you have to remove the existing filtration. The biggest benefit of a fish only is that you can get away with less light, which helps reduce algae, and you can treat the fish in the system if you need to.
If you want to move onto a reef later or qt everything before hand then liverock might be better but if it's just for fish then dry rock and bio balls has worked for decades.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely use rock but that doesn't mean you have to remove the existing filtration. The biggest benefit of a fish only is that you can get away with less light, which helps reduce algae, and you can treat the fish in the system if you need to.
If you want to move onto a reef later or qt everything before hand then liverock might be better but if it's just for fish then dry rock and bio balls has worked for decades.
It is just fish. The system could be upgraded in the future but it all depends on the interest of the owner. I'm going to stick with bio balls for now and add a RO 200 ext. If we are having algae problems I'm planning to add a Clearwater 200 external algae scrubber.

I'll see how much rock I can get into the display [emoji106]

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running an a check of all equipment today. I've put together a list of upgrades for the owner to review. Most likely start with the skimmer.

I would not add live rock though, I am a big believer in dry rock personally.

I'll try to add as much rock as is visually acceptable to the owner. Thanks for the input.
Why are you such a big believer in live rock, just curious.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have some experience keeping reefs but no experience with with only systems.

My friend just got a new house with a built in 210 gallon in wall tank. They are asking me to set it up for them.

They are not interested in corals right now due to the higher cost which leaves 2 options. FO or FOWLR.

My first instinct is to set it up FOWLR since my experience is with reef tanks.

The issue is that the system is set up as an FO system currently with inserts and bio balls.

Preliminary stocking includes:

2 maroon clowns

1 yellow tang

1 blue hippo tang

1 porcine puffer

1 Melanarius wrasse

1 diamond goby

1 lawnmower blenny

1 fairy wrasse (solar)

1 coris wrasse

2 fire fish

1 dwarf angel (coral beauty)

1 long nose hawk fish

Should I leave the system as is or pull the inserts and fill it with rock?

Does it make sense for us to spend the 1-2k on upgrading the system for FOWLR or can we keep using it FO?

We are looking for the lowest maintenance possible. Water changes will only be once a month at the most since I'll be servicing it for them.

What do you guys think?
3491f966758ce0bdfbc9b9c7e4e879b5.jpg
655c7adea17e88a8bbcfcda51c839ed1.jpg
f5c562c75c964f9940d593040e7c7514.jpg
I would do a complete reboot and upgrade personally. Use live rock for sure, or mostly dry rock and seed with some live rock, finding someone breaking down a tank is good way to get healthy rock as long as the tank was well cared for. You dont want used rock with pests so be careful. Upgrade the sump to a larger one with filter socks or a filter pad, skimmer and either a fuge or area for more rock or siporax. All this will make for a stabel bio filter and keep nutrients down allowing for longer times between water changes as you stated will be done monthly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back