Folks w/ Firefish, do they eventually get more interesting?

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww, my plan was to add a Firefish then a Midas Blenny. Glad I read this thread about aggression. Especially since I have a preexisting YWG. Bummer

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Exquisite Firefish is out all the time if the lights are on. Of course he is not in my 6' tank but in my 25 gallon IM Lagoon with the only other fish being a Randal's Assessor and 3 Panamic Barnacle Blennies. I think those kept in large tanks with lots of active fish (wrasses, tangs, anthias, etc.) will always be less active and less "interesting".
I definitely agree. I kept mine in the fluval 13.5 and he swam here and there, all the time.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww, my plan was to add a Firefish then a Midas Blenny. Glad I read this thread about aggression. Especially since I have a preexisting YWG. Bummer
How many hiding spots do you have? I wouldn’t worry about the firefish being aggressive towards the YWG, rather the other way around. But if you have adequate hiding spots, it should be fine.
Of course, if the firefish is driven out of the rocks, it will actually feel inclined to swim around. That’s what mine did when I bought a royal gramma. Unfortunately, he never went into the rocks after that, but stupidly sat on the sandbed at night. He became a snack for the cuc. :confused:

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine at first hid all day, but after a while it came out for most of the day. Sadly my sixline wrasse had been bullying my firefish and i havent seen him in a month. Maybe he is still there, i have seen him pop out before. But i will be trading the six line away soon for a pink striped wrasse.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. He's dumb as rocks. I have to drop pellet food right to him, and he can't seem to get the concept of "here comes food", rather, he just floats there like an air head and when it's in front of him, he eats it. But if it gets a little behind him, he's clueless, and unless I make the effort, I'm afraid the thing is going to starve because he'll never figure out the feeding ring and that the others are eating.
Sometimes mine would see me holding the can of food and would know to go up to the top. He’d follow me around the glass.

However, when it came to the food hitting the water, it took several tries, and it would take a pellet literally hitting him in the head until he’d discover that he’s being fed. He wasn’t the brightest, but not the dumbest either.
I was lucky enough to train him onto pellets early, though. I know many people have trouble with that.

He was also the clumsiest eater, EVER. He’d dart at a pellet, miss entirely, and become completely uninterested once it hit the floor. If he did eat one, he’d swim around with it, and spit it out into the intake. He’d try to dart after it but usually missed.

It was funny, though, so I liked him.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many hiding spots do you have? I wouldn’t worry about the firefish being aggressive towards the YWG, rather the other way around. But if you have adequate hiding spots, it should be fine.
Of course, if the firefish is driven out of the rocks, it will actually feel inclined to swim around. That’s what mine did when I bought a royal gramma. Unfortunately, he never went into the rocks after that, but stupidly sat on the sandbed at night. He became a snack for the cuc. :confused:
My worry was that the Blenny would be the aggressor to the YWG and Firefish.

My YWG is almost always under the rocks with his shrimp, so not too worried about him.

I would feel bad if I got a Firefish and then a Blenny, then Blenny beating up the Firefish.

I do have a good amount of hiding spots, arches, and overhangs. I did have a Midas 6 months ago, but flukes took him. He was able to pop into a ton of different holes to relax. After a week he just perched on my mag cleaner all day. Haha. I wanted another one. Got a YWG and PShrimp since without knowing the Blenny could have been mean.

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I have two and I not only find them to be boring, but their skittish nature adversely affects the vibe of the tank.

They are SO hectic, when they get spooked (constantly) and dart for their hidey holes, it freaks out my two clowns.

I’d go as far as to say that my clownfish’ temperament changed when I added two firefish to my 40G. Used to be more active, but now they are super stand off-ish.

I’d rehome them, but no idea how I would ever trap them. Even my TankMatez bubble trap would be no match for these guys!

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first week mine hid most of the time. The next few weeks it was out, but hide quickly when started. Now it is out from a few minutes after lights on until just before lights out.

Give it time.
Mine came out after the first day and was very confident for some reason. My clownfish likes to hangout with the firefish.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience people who own Firefish never do get any more interesting. :p

J/K They are pretty fish I've never owned one but they are on the list of fish I'd like to keep when the tank inhabitant situation is right, but not if they're boring. I have enough PJ Cardinals.
They are not boring, they have an acquired taste. Some people find them interesting, including me. They Drift along and they are very graceful.

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I totally messed up my fish list. And what sucks is that I really put a lot of time into it, and still messed up.

I got a firefish that's boring. I got a YWG because I wanted the YWG/PS pair, but now I really want a Starry Blenny but apparently that's out.

This hobby is some kinda mind-fock at times ain't it.
My starry blenny are the YWG that I added Friday. The starry blenny is an absolute pig but I never thought that he would eat the goby.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My high fin Goby will hide for days at a time. Beautiful little fish when you can catch a glimpse.
Just when I think he has finally met his maker and I can replace his worthless butt, he appears at feeding time. Then for days, I have to spot feed him his special food because it's the only stuff he eats. Right after dinner, its back under his rock, not to emerge till who knows when.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that was kind of odd actually. I'm going to post it on the main board and see if anyone else has experienced anything like it.
When my ywg died the fire fish moved in with the shrimp. You just never know.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back