Folks w/ Firefish, do they eventually get more interesting?

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Exquisite Firefish (beautiful looking fish) and he's the most boring fish I've ever had. All he ever does is hang in the water column or hide.

He's about 3.5 inches long so he could be replaced by 3.5 inches of interesting fish! What's your experience, is this all I can expect?

Right now I'm leaning toward replacing his boring butt.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks w/ Firefish, do they eventually get more interesting?

In my experience people who own Firefish never do get any more interesting. :p

J/K They are pretty fish I've never owned one but they are on the list of fish I'd like to keep when the tank inhabitant situation is right, but not if they're boring. I have enough PJ Cardinals.

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine comes out for a few hours a day, but hangs out near his hiding spot. Even when its feeding time, he just hangs out there and hopes some stray food comes his way

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this would be more helpful with regards to how they are normally. Just took this a few minutes ago. They're out and about pretty much all day long when the lights are on. I mean, they're not exactly putting on a Broadway show, but they seem interesting enough.

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not known to dance a jig for you ;Yawn. I just added a second one today and now they are active more than when it was just one. So maybe yours needs a friend to be bit more active. you can always get a Dottyback to chase him around. I have an orchid DB he keeps things moving. :D

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish NEVER swims around, ever, she just hangs, still, or scurries under her rock and hides.

My Exquisite does the same thing. Even when he eats, he just hangs in one spot. If food moves 1/2" from his face, the fish won't swim to it.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really beginning to regret this purchase. Perhaps I can find someone who wants one and could provide her with a happy home.

Now getting my wife, who loves her, to sign off, may be tricky. Ideally, the wifey will take a trip for a couple of days so I can ship her out and tell the wife she, unfortunately, expired. Is that bad?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really beginning to regret this purchase. Perhaps I can find someone who wants one and could provide her with a happy home.

Now getting my wife, who loves her, to sign off, may be tricky. Ideally, the wifey will take a trip for a couple of days so I can ship her out and tell the wife she, unfortunately, expired. Is that bad?
Lies fix nothing. Just regularly exclaim "Where is that firefish?!" whenever she is in the room. Make it obvious for a week or so that it hides and is boring. Bringing it up that you want to rehome it and let her help choose the new fish.

My firefish took about a year before it would adventure around the tank but if I do any sort of maintenance or add something it goes back to hiding for several days.

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish only hid all day when my damsel was beating it up. Once my damsel was banned to the sump he still stays close to his burrow, but he’ll come out and swim a little. But if you’re looking for more active fish, try a wrasse

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So get this, she's in a QT tank with just a YWG. YWG digs a cave and she moves in with him. They both lived in the same hole for weeks. Had to give the QT a good cleaning so I took out the rocks to clean and put them back in in a different pattern so she'd have her own cave. After a couple of days, dang if she's not back in the YWG's hole.

She just waited for him to make it big enough and then moved on back in. That's the most interesting thing she's ever done!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So get this, she's in a QT tank with just a YWG. YWG digs a cave and she moves in with him. They both lived in the same hole for weeks. Had to give the QT a good cleaning so I took out the rocks to clean and put them back in in a different pattern so she'd have her own cave. After a couple of days, dang if she's not back in the YWG's hole.

She just waited for him to make it big enough and then moved on back in. That's the most interesting thing she's ever done!
Definitely a female...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to recommend leaving the lid off the tank and see if the ff did something more interesting? :rolleyes:
Now that she has moved in with the goby I think you ought to try breeding the pair. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back