Follow3's 40 gal. frag tank.

follow3

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
244
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampton, Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have decided it is time to re-vamp my 40 gal. frag tank.
I have only had it going for a few months, but I have learned a lot of info here, so I would like to change some things. Soooo... I also thought it would be good to start a thread to document the transformation of the tank from a 40 gal. prop tank on a work bench in the garage, to what hopefully will become a nice reek tank with room for propagation or just to grow some frags for my display tank located in the house (in the near future).

Kinda funny huh... I started studying about how to set up a saltwater tank. That led to reef tanks. That led to corals. That led to Propagation. That somehow led to Zoas and Palys. That of course led me here. And for some strange reason... I started a 40 gal. prop tank before I even set up my display tank. Crazy huh?

Enough jibber jabber......here's what I have so far:

DSC01482.jpg

This is my workbench full of tanks.

DSC01483.jpg

Here is another shot.

DSC01484.jpg

Hre is a closeup.


So... that is what I have:
1. A 10 gal. QT
2. A 40 gal. breeder prop.
3. A 20 gal. long sump/fuge.
4. A BUNCH of supplies.

All on a 2x4 and plywood workbench.
NOT a pretty sight.

Over the next week or so I hope to transform the whole mess.
I plan to put the prop tank on a cabinet stand with the sump inside the cabinet. I am going to build the stand out of scrap lumber I have around the shop. I am going to build a canopy to house the T-5 lights. I am also goingto re-do all of the plumbing.

I will keep up with the progress as I work on it. I hope to end up with a reef tank with frag racks, yet still somewhat attractive.
 
Last edited:
Ya i like it a lot! Cool corals it looks like!
 
Thanks alot guys!!!

I am working on it. Right now I am working on a Nudi and Flatworm enfestation.

Since the last post I built the stand.

Here are some scraps and leftovers I am going to use to build the stand. (Waste not, want not!!!)
th_DSC01481.jpg


Here is the base.
th_DSC01486.jpg


Here is the cabinet.
th_DSC01485.jpg


The cabinet on the base.
th_DSC01487.jpg


The doors on and ready for a few coats of black paint.
th_DSC01488.jpg

th_DSC01489.jpg


The stand is done and ready for paint. The sump will fit in the bottom and still leave room for supplies, out of sight. The best thing is I made it all out of scrap that I had laying around. The only thing I bought were the hinges and handles. Total for stand. $8.47.

Next I will work on painting the stand and building the matching canopy to house my collection of T-5's.
 
Well I finally finished the stand and canopy and moved the tank. I also managed to crash the whole system and kill most of my corals during the move. But that is the mistakes of a newby!!

Here are a couple of shots of the tank on the new stand and some new stock as well:

DSCN0078.JPG
[/IMG]

Tank_004.jpg
[/IMG]



So far I like the new setup much better. I hate that I lost most of my old stock, but it did give me the opertunity to try something new, which was LPS...and I am hooked. I love Acan echinatas and Chalices as well as my Zoas and Palys.

I guess it all works out for the best.

Live and learn


Steve
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new