Food

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! There are many different types of food depending on the types of fish, coral, filtration, etc. Can you tell us a little bit more about your system (or planned system)?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

You are going to get many answers to your question because you came to the right place! I’m interested in the responses because I’m thinking about making and freezing my own fish/coral foods.

FDE64D68-F75E-4624-A792-65C4A1475F55.gif

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
welcome!

i feed my fish 3x a week. corals 7x a week (due to filter feeding through what is in the water column when i feed my fish).

i feed LRS reef frenzy 3x a week (M/W/F). T/TH i feed either reef roids or reef chilli (i usually try to alternate product and day depending what my No3/Po4 levels are). Su/Sa i do red sea AB+.

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I feed my corals 2x per week. Five minutes before I feed them, I turn off the return pump and add about a half-dropper of Polyplab Polyp-Booster, which triggers a feeding response from the corals. Then after the 5 minutes are up, I turn off my wavemaker and target feed them a mix of @Reef Nutrition Phyto-Feast/Oyster-Feast, Polyplab Reef-Roids, TDO Chroma-BOOST, and Aquavitro Fuel. Sometimes, I will add some Hikari Brine Shrimp into the mix and let it soak for a bit.

The fish get a splash of Mysis-Feast and half of a cube of Hikari Brine Shrimp every morning, and I have an auto-feeder that drops TINY amounts of TDO Chroma-BOOST pellets and @Ocean Nutrion USA Formula Two flakes 3x per day. And when I say TINY, I mean TINY. They probably get about 10-15 pellets each feeding total, which my fish devour in under 15 seconds. In fact, I think they already know the time of day the feeder goes off and they're usually waiting under the feeder around that time.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas greeting.gif

Welcome to R2R. When I have the time I prefer to make and freeze my own. I don't usually have the time, so a mix of dry, frozen, and refrigerated is what I usually do. I keep anthias and chromis so I feed 6 times a day. Nori for my tangs. BBS (baby brine shrimp) for my Mandarin. I keep a large refugium and feed it different sizes of phyto to maintain a copeapod presence that gravity feeds into the DT.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!:)

Recipe for a mix that I use
Reef Food.png

This make a good size batch. I purchased the silicone ice cub trays, then freeze. After one batch of food is frozen, I pop the cubes of frozen food out, reset the trays and back into the freezer. I store the cubs in a zip lock and pull what I need for a week for feed the tank. The slacked food is stored in the refrigerator.

Frozen food article

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally, a homr made blend is ones' creation. the best ideas for your ingredients is to look up LRS, RODS or similar foods and analyze what they are using and make your shopping list

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How and what do you feed your fish and corals if you mix your own ?

Welcome! Glad you joined. I mix up pre-packaged food, but many will use the seafood frozen (human food), taking out the crab meat (because its processed fish) and mixing in blender. Some day maybe I'll do that, but I'm getting great results using below. Plus I also culture pods and live black worms. Those little repackaged cubes help me control feeding because I'm an overfeeder....

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Attachments

• foods cutup mixed together then refrozen.JPG
    foods cutup mixed together then refrozen.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG
    Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 26

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back