For all moonshiners users

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about moonshiners, I was reading the handbook, and it reveled to me that it’s more appropriate to use moonshiners in bigger tanks. That being said I want to ask would you guys recommend moonshiners for a 40g tank? I was thinking on getting the moonshiners icp tomorrow but I don’t know now please let me know

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do it on any tank tbh except something less than 20g.

I have been running it for 10 months on my 220, FINALLY not killing acros. I haven’t done a single water change either in those 10 months, all NOPOX and skimmer. I actually enjoy the hobby now.

The dailies will be minimal, so in a 40g I think your elements will just last a lot longer.

OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do it on any tank tbh except something less than 20g.

I have been running it for 10 months on my 220, FINALLY not killing acros. I haven’t done a single water change either in those 10 months, all NOPOX and skimmer. I actually enjoy the hobby now.

The dailies will be minimal, so in a 40g I think your elements will just last a lot longer.
what’s NOPOX?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree less the 20g may not be worth it. They do offer nano versions of some (not all)of the elements. Those are better suited to smaller tanks. If you have a 40g those would be what you would use. You may still pay alot up front but the elements will last you way longer so it would be worth it. Honestly, it depends more on what you are intending to keep coral wise vs the size of the tank. Check out the FB group, there is alot of good info there as well.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about moonshiners, I was reading the handbook, and it reveled to me that it’s more appropriate to use moonshiners in bigger tanks. That being said I want to ask would you guys recommend moonshiners for a 40g tank? I was thinking on getting the moonshiners icp tomorrow but I don’t know now please let me know

To say it is more "appropriate" based on tank size does not make sense, IMO. How could it? If maintaining many elements at some target concentration is desirable, what would one do instead that is more appropriate? Unless the tank is so small that one could do large water changes every day, the utility level to their method is the same.

It might end up being similarly expensive for a small tank as for a larger tank, but the need (or not) for maintaining elements based on ICP does not seem to be size related.

FWIW, i do not agree with all moonshine assertions about certain elements, but that's not the point of this thread.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back