For all the China box haters out there. You might want to see this.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing inherently bad about a chinese equipment or good about an american equipment. What matters is which manufacturer put how much effort in quality control and sustainability. Depending upon consumers location supply chain instead can be a more impacting factor regarding the source of an equipment. The fact that iphone is made in china, and we buy pretty basic controllers for $$$ in usa shows there is extremes in both end. Other than these common elements, remember by large there are really few PCB manufacturers in USA compared to far greater consumer base. This coupled with the fact that China has state sponsored (or subsidized) electronics maufacturing sector makes the price more competitive for them.
There are companies in usa who have started doing PCB manufacturing in usa (adafruit.com is a hobbyist own, female owned PCB company , running from manhattan), I am optimistic about them, since they are more aligned to the supply chain impacts (we can get what we want faster while controlling the quality) instead of raw nationalistic emotions (economics work differently).

I see lot of bad reps around chinese equipments, and I think its not fair. Recently a blog from adafruit itself noted that chinese manufacturing sector can be hard to decipher for westerners (i.e. often time the resellers or intermediate manufacturer does a poor job in communicating the exatc requirements, which is very important for electronis [things like operating conditions]), that leads to bad quality... which consumers correlate with being chinese.. again correlated but not really the cause.

I do personally care that my supply chain is local as much as possible. Supporting local economy/lfs and a focus on sustainability is the key, china bashing, almost always will lead to misconceptions.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note any person that has a thousand plus post on any forum is a waste of Bandwidth. That includes those close to 1,000

Interesting philosophy...so these forums are better filled with lurkers that do not contribute and/or ask questions?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note any person that has a thousand plus post on any forum is a waste of Bandwidth. That includes those close to 1,000

My evening cup of coffee just came out my nose in laughter! Lol:D

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reason for seeking out this topic is because I want to get rid of my mh's. but I don't want to spend $1000 or more on lights. I was thinking about the Mars Aqua.

I have no problems with electronics made in China. The Chinese work hard and show pride in their work. It's the Americans, they are lazy and want a bigger paycheck and do sloppy work. Just my opinion.

What's everyone's take on the Mars?

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll help anyone I can, whenever I have some experience to add to their question. The purpose of the board is literally to share our successes and failures in the hobby we all love all the while chewing up that precious bandwidth.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reason for seeking out this topic is because I want to get rid of my mh's. but I don't want to spend $1000 or more on lights. I was thinking about the Mars Aqua.

I have no problems with electronics made in China. The Chinese work hard and show pride in their work. It's the Americans, they are lazy and want a bigger paycheck and do sloppy work. Just my opinion.

The mars are not bad at all. Plenty of people have good results with them. I personally believe the tweaked spectrum of the SB Reef lights is a bit better for coral growth and coloration and feel spending a bit extra is well worth it for those. I would consider them the "best" black box. Some other perks like a 2 year usa warranty and better heat sink are included as well.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be doing research on that particular box. I have clams 24" deep. So I need to keep that in mind.

That's the only nice thing about halides; you can grow just about anything. But the bulbs and electricity is starting to break the bank.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be doing research on that particular box. I have clams 24" deep. So I need to keep that in mind.

That's the only nice thing about halides; you can grow just about anything. But the bulbs and electricity is starting to break the bank.
You can grow whatever you want, wherever you want with the SB (and likely Mars for that matter).

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Well Par 165watt off eBay.
Love them!!! I'm running four black boxes on a 4ft tank. This eliminates most shadowing.

Blakyboxes are the way to go if you can be satisfied with on off functionality.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lazy people everywhere, even those who would classify an entire nation without truly looking into all the facts before making a statement like the one you made.
Ask any Real tradesman if Chinese tools are in their tool bag/pouch/box and you will find very few, I Pay several times more and insist on american tools, they will not fail and LAST , chinese will last maybee a day
But the real reason Chinese have CHEAPER goods is because 1. Labor Rates (slave labor) 2. Zero environmental regulations and 3. inferior materials & processes their factorys are not ISO or QS certified and that is why Taiwan is the goto for overseas quality and cheap labor. Please google Boneless chicken wings from china, then will see if you want to keep sending your money to the Emperor.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see your point on cheap led lights working great but to generalize Americans as lazy on a reef forum is uncalled for. I'm American and work very hard with a lot of pride for every customer i deal with. Thank you

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought "high end" items for my tank for specific reasons, and "cheap" low cost items for specific reasons.
I have zero care if someone thinks I got robbed and overpaid, or if I bought a terrible piece of equipment because it was low cost and not a name brand.
At end of the day its my tank, my money. What I purchase and use has no effect on anyone else.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lazy people everywhere, even those who would classify an entire nation without truly looking into all the facts before making a statement like the one you made.
Ask any Real tradesman if Chinese tools are in their tool bag/pouch/box and you will find very few, I Pay several times more and insist on american tools, they will not fail and LAST , chinese will last maybee a day
But the real reason Chinese have CHEAPER goods is because 1. Labor Rates (slave labor) 2. Zero environmental regulations and 3. inferior materials & processes their factorys are not ISO or QS certified and that is why Taiwan is the goto for overseas quality and cheap labor. Please google Boneless chicken wings from china, then will see if you want to keep sending your money to the Emperor.

Siggy, I do apologize for giving my opinion. I was really referring to myself as being lazy (American). Like right now I'm at work but I'm not really getting much done because I'm playing on my phone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back