(for an article) Could I see some photos of some soft corals please

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some photos of soft corals to accompany an article. Can I see some of yours? If you post a photo, tell me what it is and how long you've had it and how many gallons your tank is.

THANK YOU

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a toadstool leather I have had for a few years. It has been in 5 tanks so far, and currently resides in a DIY 20 long AIO. I am digging right now to find some pics (at work, so having to remote into the home PC) of a paly colony that has been with me from the beginning and started out as 1 polyp, now over 100 and has been broken up every month for the past 2 years lol. If you want I can load you up from Kenya Tree colonies I have had to GSP and on down the list. My wife is a softie fanatic, so all the tanks have loads of them.

IMG_1562.jpg

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a toadstool leather I have had for a few years. It has been in 5 tanks so far, and currently resides in a DIY 20 long AIO. I am digging right now to find some pics (at work, so having to remote into the home PC) of a paly colony that has been with me from the beginning and started out as 1 polyp, now over 100 and has been broken up every month for the past 2 years lol. If you want I can load you up from Kenya Tree colonies I have had to GSP and on down the list. My wife is a softie fanatic, so all the tanks have loads of them.

IMG_1562.jpg

Fantastic, @Eagle_Steve. What kind of fish is resting on your toadstool? Sure post as many photos as you like.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.JPG

Cabbage Coral - Sinularia brassica I've only had this piece about 2 years but it's grown like crazy.

IMG_1602.JPG

Gorgonian - not 100% sure on exact species. I've had this guy approximately 5 years.

IMG_1580.JPG

Neon Toadstool - Sarcophyton sp. I've had this one 4-5 years and as you can see naked clown uses it like an anemone. When the polyps get really long it almost looks like a gigantea

IMG_1591.JPG

Kenya Tree - Capnella sp Known as a pest to many it's got a beautiful blue base that frequently self propagates - not the stubs which are branches that released from the mother colony. I've had this for many years too.

IMG_1600.JPG

various discosoma mushrooms - again years, mostly got as cheap single polyps nothing crazy but certainly pretty. Various palys also around them.
IMG_9116.JPG

This big green leather I've never been able to determine if it's Sinularia or Nepthea. I got it as a frag maybe 6 or 7 years ago and it's my largest coral these days. Fragged occasionally. Various other softies also viewable in the picture.

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.JPG

Cabbage Coral - Sinularia brassica I've only had this piece about 2 years but it's grown like crazy.

IMG_1602.JPG

Gorgonian - not 100% sure on exact species. I've had this guy approximately 5 years.

IMG_1580.JPG

Neon Toadstool - Sarcophyton sp. I've had this one 4-5 years and as you can see naked clown uses it like an anemone. When the polyps get really long it almost looks like a gigantea

IMG_1591.JPG

Kenya Tree - Capnella sp Known as a pest to many it's got a beautiful blue base that frequently self propagates - not the stubs which are branches that released from the mother colony. I've had this for many years too.

IMG_1600.JPG

various discosoma mushrooms - again years, mostly got as cheap single polyps nothing crazy but certainly pretty. Various palys also around them.
IMG_9116.JPG

This big green leather I've never been able to determine if it's Sinularia or Nepthea. I got it as a frag maybe 6 or 7 years ago and it's my largest coral these days. Fragged occasionally. Various other softies also viewable in the picture.

Thank you so much! What kind of fish is in the Cabbage Coral?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
93 cube coral1.jpg
360g4.jpg
360i.png
360g corals4.jpg
duncan1.jpg
leather5.jpg
tree2.jpg

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just an IPhone 8 for the pics. I use an app called Snapseed to adjust the blue level so that the picture looks the same as your eye would see it.

Why can't you just take pics with white light on? Just curious, I see a lot of people take pics with blue lights on. I'm curious because I don't have any corals or a proper reef light yet. Just FOWLR for now.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't you just take pics with white light on? Just curious, I see a lot of people take pics with blue lights on. I'm curious because I don't have any corals or a proper reef light yet. Just FOWLR for now.

Corals don't fluoresce under white light so you just see the muted greyish green or brown colors.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back