(for an article) What Do You Think Should Be Included in the 10 Commandments of Reefing?

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a forum member has approached me about doing an article on what are The 10 Commandments of Reefing.

What do you think should be included in this list?

You're welcome to give me just one or several or all 10. And why you include that.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no particular order, my own top 5 ....

Take your time - only bad things happen fast in this hobby.
Vette your sources - reef boards, YouTube and LFS can be a great source for both good and bad advice.
Be a skeptic - the greatest invention in the history of the hobby probably isn’t.
Research livestock purchases - it’s a win-win, both for you and those in your care.
Quality pays off - buy cheap, buy twice (or thrice if you last that long in the hobby)

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
patience. dont buy fish without researching them, same for coral. quality first than buying twice as mentioned. dont do anything you do not know. ask for help!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-If you like something, disregard others’ opinions on what they like. Unless the opinion is on proper husbandry of a reef creature, listen to those. Its your tank not theirs.

Your tank only has to please you not a stranger [emoji4]

-Research, there are sources everywhere, dont trust the lfs employee.
That starfish is not a throw it in and it will thrive animal.

-dont buy fish for an upgrade you haven’t purchased or will purchase very shortly.

Last edited:

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 patience
2 learn your tanks language listen and observe then react (not all tanks are exactly the same what works for one may fail in another)
3 keep a maintenance routine ( get sloppy start missing items things can go south)
4 never stop learning
5 if it ain’t broke don’t touch it (tank looking good be happy it’s working it’s not talking to you with a specific need leave it be)
6 have back up equipment heaters pump for gotta have running items (how many stories threads are there for losses due to equipment failures don’t be the next)
7 know your numbers use quality test kits know how to use them(innacurate test numbers lead to bad adjustments chasing numbers)
8 find support you trust LFS forum friends (2 minds are better than one etc plus it’s fun sharing the hobby)

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A- Thou shall not let impulse get the best of you
B- Thou shall not chase numbers and readings and get stressed out over numbers
C- Thou shall not buy the cheapest equipment you can find but rather the best equipment you can or can’t afford
D - Thou shall not tell your significant other what you actually paid for the stuff
E- thou shall become a supporting member on zR2R and help it maintain the great resource it is

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule number one, treat it as a science not a religion.

Personally one of the most annoying things about some parts of this hobby are the rigid adherence by many to common beliefs that actually don't stand up to scientific scrutiny. In fact in many instances they don't even stand up to common sense.

Where as a religion stays stagnant in its statements, Science moves forward with new discoveries and better understanding. Always follow the science and be flexible to discussion and procedure.

That said here is my pennies worth.

1. Stability, always look to keep your parameters within the generally accepted levels but most important keep them as stable as possible.

2 Research, do your own research from reputable sources rather than just throwing open questions. You don't need to be a scientist but a little knowledge always helps and often increases one's interest in the hobby.

3. Keeps things as simple as possible, the more involved the more likely chance of failure, instability and increased workload.

4.Duty of care, these are living creatures, treat them with the respect they deserve.

5. Security, put a lid on it, (see 4.)

6 Enjoy, this is a great hobby, it can be very easy to implement and highly rewarding. If it is starting to become a chore then you need a rethink your options.

7 Support your LFS. a good LFS is an invaluable resource.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule number one, treat it as a science not a religion.

Personally one of the most annoying things about some parts of this hobby are the rigid adherence by many to common beliefs that actually don't stand up to scientific scrutiny. In fact in many instances they don't even stand up to common sense.

Where as a religion stays stagnant in its statements, Science moves forward with new discoveries and better understanding. Always follow the science and be flexible to discussion and procedure.

That said here is my pennies worth.

1. Stability, always look to keep your parameters within the generally accepted levels but most important keep them as stable as possible.

2 Research, do your own research from reputable sources rather than just throwing open questions. You don't need to be a scientist but a little knowledge always helps and often increases one's interest in the hobby.

3. Keeps things as simple as possible, the more involved the more likely chance of failure, instability and increased workload.

4.Duty of care, these are living creatures, treat them with the respect they deserve.

5. Security, put a lid on it, (see 4.)

6 Enjoy, this is a great hobby, it can be very easy to implement and highly rewarding. If it is starting to become a chore then you need a rethink your options.

7 Support your LFS. a good LFS is an invaluable resource.
Well, I can’t put it any better myself.

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thou shalt not say "everything is fine" if something is dying or doesn't look right

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back