? for Randy

Bullnose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy,

I read in some of your articles that you don't dose 2 part anymore. Just kalk top off. What made you decide to go that route? Do you have a Ca reactor?

Thanks,
Chris

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Yes, the limewater was just too easy. I made up 120 gallons at a time and it lasted a long time in the ATO. :)
Hi Randy - first of all, thanks for supporting and contributing, I really enjoy reading your posts. I've been trying to look for an answer by reading a few of your responses about dosing Kalk, and would like to have your recommendation.

Sorry if it sounds repetitive, I'm dosing Kalk in my top-off reservoir, and I'm trying to avoid the dosing being dependant on the evaporation, plus having to scrub the reservoir every 3 days. I don't have the possibility to place a large container like yours near the tank.

Do you recommend any Kalk reactor such as little fishes (simple) or ReefOctopus stirrer (complicated and expensive)? Or do you suggest I start with a DYI kits from BRS with a 2.5 qt container?

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I had the same quandary and ended up going with BulkReefSupply's 2.5 QT container and their DIY dripper kit. I did modify it by using a bit of flex tubing between the solid acrylic tube on the inside and the top connector (more reliable), and on the outside hooked it to an IV dripper kit with a roller clamp for more precise adjustments. It's worked relatively well for me, if not as precise and consistent as a dosing pump. It is, however, a lot cheaper and is relatively compact.

You can also get more Ca and alk if you add some vinegar to the kalk as well

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy - first of all, thanks for supporting and contributing, I really enjoy reading your posts. I've been trying to look for an answer by reading a few of your responses about dosing Kalk, and would like to have your recommendation.

Sorry if it sounds repetitive, I'm dosing Kalk in my top-off reservoir, and I'm trying to avoid the dosing being dependant on the evaporation, plus having to scrub the reservoir every 3 days. I don't have the possibility to place a large container like yours near the tank.

Do you recommend any Kalk reactor such as little fishes (simple) or ReefOctopus stirrer (complicated and expensive)? Or do you suggest I start with a DYI kits from BRS with a 2.5 qt container?

I'd probably elect to dose two part over limewater if you want steady dosing (meaning you already need to get at least one dosing pump) and don't have a place for a settled reservoir. Limewater will still work with a dosing pump, but some of its benefits and ease of use get lost without a large reservoir and an ATO to deliver it.

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably elect to dose two part over limewater if you want steady dosing (meaning you already need to get at least one dosing pump) and don't have a place for a settled reservoir. Limewater will still work with a dosing pump, but some of its benefits and ease of use get lost without a large reservoir and an ATO to deliver it.

Thanks for the quick response Randy. I chose Kalk over 2 part because I don't have a major calcium and mag consumption and my alk is also stable. Hence I'm using the Kalk to maintain, and also enhance Ph - as I have CO2 issues.

I'm also dosing RedSea Reef Energy A+B on a daily basis, and Trace Colors twice a week, RedSea liquid Cal and Mag based on my consumption, but it's minimal.

My tank is LPS dominant, and I just added 6 SPS frags this week.

I've read many times that you recommend not chasing Ph - and was wondering to what extend should I allow Ph to stay low.
If I don't dose Kalk, my Ph is between 7.6 and 7.8 and approx. ~+0.1/+02 if I use the CO2 scrubber - with an inline from outside.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Current parameters 90 gal:
Temp: 78
Salt: 35
Ph: 7.9 to 8.05 (dosing Kalk)
Alk: 9
Cal: 460 - it doesn't come down more than 10 in a week
Mag: 1500
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.02

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back