For the newbies

Are mushrooms a good hardy coral for starters?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They’re super hard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal experience I have found mushrooms to be pretty hardy, and I do consider them beginner. There's a catch though, I've also had these coral reach plague proportions, and for some that's alright. Granted they are nowhere near as fast growing as GSP or Xenia. You just have to keep them in check :)

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal experience I have found mushrooms to be pretty hardy, and I do consider them beginner. There's a catch though, I've also had these coral reach plague proportions, and for some that's alright. Granted they are nowhere near as fast growing as GSP or Xenia. You just have to keep them in check :)
Are they toxic to humans?
I was moving mine about and tentacles came out the middle and stung my finger

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they toxic to humans?
I was moving mine about and tentacles came out the middle and stung my finger
I mean technically they are considered anemones not coral, so yeah I guess they would be capable of stinging, and I would assume they are toxic to some degree, but I'm not too sure on the potency. I just wouldn't eat them lol

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean technically they are considered anemones not coral, so yeah I guess they would be capable of stinging, and I would assume they are toxic to some degree, but I'm not too sure on the potency. I just wouldn't eat them lol
Where did you see this? There is an anemone that is called a mushroom anemone (Order Corallimorpharia) but mushrooms themselves are corals. Maybe I misunderstood something in all of my reading.

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you see this? There is an anemone that is called a mushroom anemone (Order Corallimorpharia) but mushrooms themselves are corals. Maybe I misunderstood something in all of my reading.
I pretty sure rhodactis, and discosoma are in the Order Corallimorpharia off of the quick Google search. But you are right they aren't considered true anemones. But they should be capable of a sting. Getting into coral taxonomy is always a changing and sticky subject

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty sure rhodactis, and discosoma are in the Order Corallimorpharia off of the quick Google search. But you are right they aren't considered true anemones. But they should be capable of a sting. Getting into coral taxonomy is always a changing and sticky subject
Hmmm, this is very interesting and that's why I love this site. I never looked into rhodactis or discosoma before because I have no plans on keeping them. Now I'm going to have to look into this more. Maybe there are in betweeners. :) For example the Order Scleractinia which are the mushroom plate corals but the Corallimorpharia type seem to be a different beast. :) We should all start using scientific names. LOL

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, this is very interesting and that's why I love this site. I never looked into rhodactis or discosoma before because I have no plans on keeping them. Now I'm going to have to look into this more. Maybe there are in betweeners. :) For example the Order Scleractinia which are the mushroom plate corals but the Corallimorpharia type seem to be a different beast. :) We should all start using scientific names. LOL
Would love to hear what you dig up on the order of Scleractinia. I swear this hobby is a constantly changing environment. :)

and i agree with the using more scientific terminology for coral. I don't even want to touch the area of Chalice corals LOL

(Sorry OP for the thread take over)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might depend on the type. I always read they were fairly easy but I didn't realize this group was so diverse. Now I'm not so sure. There are some named mushroom anemones but they aren't true nems (they are referenced as being in between a coral and a nem). Does this mean their needs are different than that other mushroom types that might make them harder to keep? This thread has made me realize you need to research each type of coral you want to keep just in case there are different needs within a large group like mushrooms.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear what you dig up on the order of Scleractinia. I swear this hobby is a constantly changing environment. :)

and i agree with the using more scientific terminology for coral. I don't even want to touch the area of Chalice corals LOL

(Sorry OP for the thread take over)
Actually I don't think this is a thread takeover. Haha. It really highlights how we probably can't apply general care needs to a large group of corals. It could be one type is easy but another type isn't. I always thought mushrooms were fairly easy but now I'm not so sure. This hobby makes me always feel like I'm a newbie. Haha. Maybe 50 years from now I won't be. LOL

My vote is: I think it depends. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back