For those of you who dose 2 part...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those of you who dose 2 part I have a question.

Being that the solutions need to be dosed slowly and in a high flow area, where do you add it to your tank?

Where do you dose when you're making adjustments and where do you drip dose for regular maintenance?

Goslugsgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One part is dosed in my return area in my sump and the other is in the larger part of the sump with the LR and skimmer. This is done to keep them separate and limit any chance of contact precipitation. Even though they are not dosed at the same time I still like to limit the possibility.

When making adjustments, they go in the large part of the sump.
My reason for doing this is so the material has the best chance to get maximum dilution in the largest volume of water before entering the display and is less of a shock to any sensitive pieces. Such a small amount is dosed during maintenance that I'm not concerned with mass dilution.

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose both Cal and Alk into the return pump section of the sump. Just make sure that you separate the time by a few minutes. Dosing both at the same time will cause the two compounds to harden and cause issues for your plumbing/pump.

When I'm manually dosing I just poor slowly near the vortech.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the sump . Next to return pump

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dosing pump and dose in the sump near the return. I test regularly, and rarely need to make big adjustments. If I alk, ca, or mg dropping, I adjust the dosing pump. I helps me avoid big swings in the tank.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For adjustments I prefer the overflow box and for regular dosing it would be between the bubble breaks right before the return pump.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return section of the sump using dosing pumps....with each dosed at different times. Any manual adjustments are also added to the return section.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dosers are tied to the same timer so I cannot separate them, as my only precaution I drip alk in the first section of my sump and my calc in the last or return area. So far I have not encountered any issues.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose into the middle chamber of my sump which just holds a couple marine pure blocks. The dosing tubes are right by the weir and are mixed well.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you guys notice any precipitation build on your pumps, equipment or sump?

My sump is not high flow.

aashley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose in the compartment right before the return section of my sump(the area meant to get rid of microbubbles.) I dose at different times but I do get precipitate from the soda ash itself. My sump was built with the dosers in that section. I don't think it was very smart because it is so narrow, it is very difficult to clean. I have been thinking about adding on a magnetic doser so I can play around and see if I want it with the return pump or somewhere else.

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only precipitate that I ever see is build up on the end of the alkalinity hose. Sometimes it builds up and clogs and I have to remove it. I've been dosing into my sump for years and I've never had any issues. ( also low flow sump.)

Azraz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Middle section of my Triggers systems sump where my Cheato is growing. I have a small powerhead moving the water in that section keeping dosed alk and calcium immediately mixed and also helps cheato fresh.

rferraro21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing into the flow of a power head, is it a newbie mistake that I am dosing into my display?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back