For those of you who dose 2 part...

Scooby1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose into the first section where the cheato is. Second section has skimmer and phosphate reactor, third section has return pump. But judging by what others have said, seems like the conscenus is the return pump section?

NICK

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer and I dose in the first chamber where the drain section. I figured that'd be the best spot because of flow. I watched the alk. solution dosing and it seems to move and mix pretty quickly in that section. In my old setup, I had 4 chambers and the 2-part gets dosed into the 3rd chamber after the skimmer. Even with a small power head in place, Calcium build up is very apparent over time. I had it lock up my return pump before as well.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose in my return section for both. I separate dosing by 1 hr to avoid precip. I just cleaned my pump, which is a fluval sp4 and did not notice any build up in it. I also use the pump near max flow rate so I have strong flow in my sump. I strictly use my doser for the two part and test alk every other day and calcium every 5 days or so.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose both right at the outlet turbulence of my skimmer near the entrance to the return chamber. 6 hour alternating schedules of dosing alk and Ca. On the rare occasion I need to correct anything, I slowly pour into the DT right over the gyre over a few minutes

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys notice any precipitation build on your pumps, equipment or sump?

My sump is not high flow.
My sump is low flow also, and i havent noticed any prexipitation. I dose 15 mins apart

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys notice any precipitation build on your pumps, equipment or sump?

My sump is not high flow.
If the area of concern has permissible space, you could try a small powerhead to increase flow? I know hydor makes some fairly small powerheads or Jebao released the SW-2(with controller or apex compatible) which is about 1/3-1/2 size of the more common RW/PP/SW-4. I've haven't looked into small pumps but that is all I can suggest.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about through the overflow section, into the filter sock?
Filter sock/overflow is fine, you are just trying to dose so that alk and calc are mixed with reef tank water sufficiently.
I dose into the return pump chamber, and it doesn't need to be a high-flow sump, just the flow that the rest of your tank achieves. It will not precipitate appreciably, so just find an area that is easy to access and go for it, low flow or high flow.
Presumably you want to dose 2-part for stability; under those conditions I would highly recommend a doser. You need not get an expensive doser, there are all kinds of inexpensive ones. Check into the BRS dosers. You will find better system stability and the best coral reactions from 2-part dosing, or even three part with magnesium.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose in my return pump section. I have 3 sections in my sump and each section has its own dedicated small powerhead to keep the water moving to prevent food oils and scum from forming on the water surface, fish poop and debris from settling, and to prevent precipitation from forming from dosing. It all started with the powerheads when i noticed the alk was precipitating out because of low flow. Added a power and that solved that problem real quick.

Brad Shook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard rumor you should not dose at the same time. That when you do the solution is not absorbed the same as if you dose at different times. I moved my dosing 8 hrs apart and my calcium and ALK is easier to maintain now.

IDK it's what I heard and seemed to make a difference. I dose 2 part BRS

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down the overflow about 1 minute apart. Never had an issue.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been dosing right into the area my Main pump pulls from.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only dose BRS soda ash for my dkh and I drip it in front of my mp10. I notice that when I don't put it in a high flow area it tends to clump up in my tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back