Forgot the name of this coral but my question is it hasnt come out fully for a few weeks now am told theres no problems but should i move it or not?

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1690514555433.png

It is currently sitting lower in the tank with decent flow so if i should move or if theres an issue plz let me know thank you

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely gsp. Look Up pictures of it online and compare.

one of the easiest and prolific corals, to the point where people actively try to get rid of it in their tanks. Hopefully you didn’t pay a pretty penny for it.

but definitely try to keep it in an isolated rock

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely gsp. Look Up pictures of it online and compare.

one of the easiest and prolific corals, to the point where people actively try to get rid of it in their tanks. Hopefully you didn’t pay a pretty penny for it.

but definitely try to keep it in an isolated rock
So i should be sweet then just taking a little bit of time to come back out?

Upvote 0

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ah ok thanks for the help guys but in you guy's opinion nothing wrong with it just acting strange?
I had a frag I moved from one tank to another and it took weeks to open back up. As long as your water parameters are where they should be and it has a little water movement to keep detritus and algae’s off it I wouldn't be too concerned.

Upvote 0

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Goniopora to me. When it closes at night is it a purple mat? Got a more white picture?

Is it new? Has it ever been “open”?
Idk, op claims there is no skeleton and I see the characteristic white base of a gsp in the picture . Definitely an onto oral and not any of the stonies

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Goniopora to me. When it closes at night is it a purple mat? Got a more white picture?

Is it new? Has it ever been “open”?
its about a month and a half since i got it it has opened and looked really good just has held back for 2 weeks roughly

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that OP said there isn’t a skeleton, but that doesn’t look like gsp to me either. It looks like there are too many tentacles around each central oral disc, gsp would only have 8. Plus those tentacles just looked to be tipped with green.

Upvote 0

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that OP said there isn’t a skeleton, but that doesn’t look like gsp to me either. It looks like there are too many tentacles around each central oral disc, gsp would only have 8. Plus those tentacles just looked to be tipped with green.
I see what you are talking about. I chalked it upto polyps overlapping but I could see a case for where it might not actually be gsp.

We just need OP to give us another angle or a better picture

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing for a fact what type of coral it is makes it hard to say how happy/unhappy it is. Generally speaking if it doesn’t have its polyps completely retracted then it probably isn’t too unhappy and I personally wouldn’t move it.

Upvote 0

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with whoever said goniopora. I would go a step further and say maybe bernardpora. Bernardpora closes each night and can sulk too if conditions ain't right. I got my bernardporas towards the top of the tank so they get more light.

Upvote 1

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try it this way, did it look something like this in the store?
1690546727942.jpeg

If yes, it is GSP.

Just for the record to me the original picture looks like unhappy GSP.

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back