Goniopora not opening like it was at the Lfs

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I recently bought a goni frag and it looked really good in the store. It was already growing small baby heads down the sides so i knew it wasn’t a recent frag. Anyway I brought it back and acclimated for 45 mins and put it in the tank. It didnt open up that day which i guess is normal for gonis but the second day it still was closed. I moved it to a low light(kinda under the rock) and lower flow area and later that day i saw it extend abit around 1cm. At the lfs it extends 2 inches out. Big difference. Today is the third day and it still doesn’t extend fully. Still 1cm and some heads still closed. I did notice that when it opens, my skunk cleaner shrimp comes to investigate and the tentacles will suck back in immediately. Or even when my wrasse swims by it, that little bit of water movement makes it close back up immediately. What should i do? Move it to an even lower flow area? Leave it where it is and let it acclimate to that spot in my tank longer? The main difference is, the lfs keeps their corals and fish in low salinity. Its 1.016 there and its 1.025 in my tank. I know for sure the 45 mins of acclimation wasnt enough to match salinity but previously i never even acclimated corals from there thinking they kept their corals at 1.025 and they are fine. This was the first time testing their water and found out this big difference. Well i also tested the nitrate from 3 shops and all are close to 100 or way more than 100 on salifert kit lol

Parameters are as below
1.025 SG
Temp 25.6c, 78f
Calcium 460
Dkh 7.5-7.6
Mag 1350 ish
Ph 8.2-8.3 throughout the day
Nitrate 5
Phosphate somewhere between 0.03-0.1(closer to 0.03 than to 0.1)
6DCB0818-E17E-46CB-B355-B8E35D080F8B.jpeg

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your refractometer is calibrated correctly?

I can understand fish being kept at 1.016 SG but corals too?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your refractometer is calibrated correctly?

I can understand fish being kept at 1.016 SG but corals too?
Yes just calibrated with brightwell calibration liquid. Also, i have 2 diff refractometers and tested with both and got same numbers, calibrated AGAIN to be sure cause of the results i got and checked again. Same low reading as before. 3 shops are doing this. Lfs 1 coral and fish system 1.015-1.016. Lfs 2 coral tank 1.018 and today lfs 3, coral tank is 1.020, fish system is 1.015.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it?
Gonis can take days to show themselves. They hate any water change. Once they throw a fit, it can be difficult to get them to come out again.
This. Took one frag i got at the LFS 3 weeks to fully open and after two moves in the tank. Gonis will be gonis.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it?
Gonis can take days to show themselves. They hate any water change. Once they throw a fit, it can be difficult to get them to come out again.
3 days now. Plus i did do my weekly water change just now too. It comes out but just a few polyps and only 1cm. Out of 15 polyps maybe 5 in the centre will pop out a little

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Cause i was watching vids on goni care and they all say low light low flow so i was looking for a spot like that to put it
I got 3 in high light and high flow. :thinking-face:

But the one i spoke about in my above post is in low light and low flow.

Just give it time.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 in high light and high flow. :thinking-face:

But the one i spoke about in my above post is in low light and low flow.

Just give it time.
Time will be given. Just nervous cause ive never bought gonis in the 11 years of doing this cause i always heard they only live a few months especially the indo ones. Im in malaysia and we get most of our corals locally or from indo so im pretty sure this one i got is an indo.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back