Formalin and health

coralreefer123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I may start to use formalin 37% to qt. new fishes coming in however, as we know, it is a carcinogen and can be bad to breath, touch etc. If I use it in the qt. tank itself do I need to wear a mask or eye protection when I go into that room? Are the vapors or the qt water considered hazardous to people? Or only the concentrated formalin itself?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,

I may start to use formalin 37% to qt. new fishes coming in however, as we know, it is a carcinogen and can be bad to breath, touch etc. If I use it in the qt. tank itself do I need to wear a mask or eye protection when I go into that room? Are the vapors or the qt water considered hazardous to people? Or only the concentrated formalin itself?
In prepping/diluting it, I would assume some risk is airborne. It has a short shelf life once opened of a few months and should be mixed with 10 percent methanol using aquacultured approved type of formalin which is lower risk but still take precautions.
Once used in the tank, adding aeration with air stone is essential

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In prepping/diluting it, I would assume some risk is airborne. It has a short shelf life once opened of a few months and should be mixed with 10 percent methanol using aquacultured approved type of formalin which is lower risk but still take precautions.
Once used in the tank, adding aeration with air stone is essential
can you explain this methanol is also toxic - was not sure what you meant. to the op - I would not usr formaldehyde as an initial qt

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
can you explain this methanol is also toxic - was not sure what you meant. to the op - I would not usr formaldehyde as an initial qt
At a seminar a year ago, it was noted as you know formalin is made of approximately 37% formaldehyde gas saturated in water becoming 100% active ingredient formalin. Formalin solutions for use on fish contain 10 percent methanol forming aquarium use formaldehyde.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At a seminar a year ago, it was noted as you know formalin is made of approximately 37% formaldehyde gas saturated in water becoming 100% active ingredient formalin. Formalin solutions for use on fish contain 10 percent methanol forming aquarium use formaldehyde.
I did not know about methanol thanks!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - formalin is formaldehyde gas in water, and the gas is unstable, so 10 to 15% methanol is added to stabilize it.

I have used formalin for decades, and I now regret it. Formalin de-gasses from aquariums into rooms, I would not use it indoors any longer, unless the room is vented to the outside. Undiluted, you need proper PPE.

There are many other better choices for quarantining fish. The only disease I don't have a good alternative to formalin for is Brooklynella on clownfish.

Here is our current quarantine protocol:

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back