Formalin and Wrasse?

Joluan01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have 2 clown fish sick, looks like Brooklynella. In the same tank I have a Blue Hippo tang, Fox Face, Chromis and a yellow wrasse none of these have signs of the disease. Today I received Formalin, my question is, this is safe for all the above fish? Should I treat them all and leave them in a quarantine tank?

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I have 2 clown fish sick, looks like Brooklynella. In the same tank I have a Blue Hippo tang, Fox Face, Chromis and a yellow wrasse none of these have signs of the disease. Today I received Formalin, my question is, this is safe for all the above fish? Should I treat them all and leave them in a quarantine tank?

Thanks!
What formalin dose are you going to use? 25 ppm is fine for wrasse as long as you provide really good aeration and as long as the wrasse aren’t really sick.
If you don’t treat the whole tank, the Brook may spread to other fish, and at least would be active for a time, keeping you from returning the clowns.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Joluan01

Joluan01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What formalin dose are you going to use? 25 ppm is fine for wrasse as long as you provide really good aeration and as long as the wrasse aren’t really sick.
If you don’t treat the whole tank, the Brook may spread to other fish, and at least would be active for a time, keeping you from returning the clowns.

Jay

Thank for your response!
I am going to do 1ml of 37% Formalin per gallon saltwater for 45 min x 3 days. After every formalin bath, I'm going to move fish to Qt with copper. Any suggestion?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank for your response!
I am going to do 1ml of 37% Formalin per gallon saltwater for 45 min x 3 days. After every formalin bath, I'm going to move fish to Qt with copper. Any suggestion?
You said other fish have disease. Can you provide pics under white light for confirmation?
You dont want to treat wrong medication for what you may Not have. For bath- Its 12 drops or .6 mil per gallon. Avoid overdosing.
For QT treatment, you want to use chelated forms such as Coppersafe or copper power and start at 1.75 therapeutic level and increase over 24 hr to 2.0 level and monitor these levels with hanna copper kit - NO Api brand

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Joluan01

Joluan01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said other fish have disease. Can you provide pics under white light for confirmation?
You dont want to treat wrong medication for what you may Not have. For bath- Its 12 drops or .6 mil per gallon. Avoid overdosing.
For QT treatment, you want to use chelated forms such as Coppersafe or copper power and start at 1.75 therapeutic level and increase over 24 hr to 2.0 level and monitor these levels with hanna copper kit - NO Api brand
The other fish looks fine and no sign of disease

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures and even a video and a description of the symptoms would be very useful to help confirm the diagnosis before you begin treatment.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back