Forming & fabricating with Acrylic. ***BUTT JOINTS*** A Tenecor® Explainer

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most common questions we are asked is how to join two pieces edge to edge. This type of bond is called a "Butt Joint" and requires careful edge preparation, fixturing and patience. I will start with a guide on glue selection. For butt joining, we like to use Acrifix® products. Depending on the application, below is a simple decision tree to start off this topic. More later.

BUTT JOINTS DECISION TREE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most common questions we are asked is how to join two pieces edge to edge. This type of bond is called a "Butt Joint" and requires careful edge preparation, fixturing and patience. I will start with a guide on glue selection. For butt joining, we like to use Acrifix® products. Depending on the application, below is a simple decision tree to start off this topic. More later.

What's your reasoning for using the 0190 on a butt joint? Seems like all other stats are the same but the 0192 is clear when dried..... Is it because the light cure on the 192 isn't nearly as reliable as the catalyst cure?

Interested to hear more. Following.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your reasoning for using the 0190 on a butt joint? Seems like all other stats are the same but the 0192 is clear when dried..... Is it because the light cure on the 192 isn't nearly as reliable as the catalyst cure?

Hi There. Based on the question you asked, it is apparent you know a bit about this topic. Both are acceptable for butt joints and like you said, one is photo reactive and the other is a two part catalyst glue. The 0190 can also be colored whereas the 0192 cannot. We use both photo reactive and two part glues. Photo reactive has a shorter pot life for us because all three of our facilities have skylights. For those who are following this thread, this is a rather advanced question.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I reviewed the graphic I posted previously and realized there was an error. Our graphic design staff forgot one line on the tree. Below is a corrected images. Apologies.

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reviewed the graphic I posted previously and realized there was an error. Our graphic design staff forgot one line on the tree. Below is a corrected images. Apologies.
I wondered. It's a meaningful line to be added for sure!

Do you find that you have to make butt joints often? Obviously the cast sheets are only so large but once a butt joint is made with the 2R 0190 can the seam be hidden via a simple torch polish?

Take care,
Kyle

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered. It's a meaningful line to be added for sure!

Do you find that you have to make butt joints often? Obviously the cast sheets are only so large but once a butt joint is made with the 2R 0190 can the seam be hidden via a simple torch polish?

Take care,
Kyle
On the commercial side we do more of this but overall, the total is not that many. It's something we know how to do but don't do often. Sort of like long division. The final seam finishing is simply lots of sanding and polishing.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the commercial side we do more of this but overall, the total is not that many. It's something we know how to do but don't do often. Sort of like long division. The final seam finishing is simply lots of sanding and polishing.
Many fabricators pay little credence to simply flame polishing every edge even though it weakens it. Are there any circumstances in which you feel it is suitable to flame polish an exposed edge of a tank or sump?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From someone who's quite new to learning about acrylic fabrication, why do you use Acrifix® in this application instead of Weld-On 40 or 42? Similarly, why do you use Weld-On 40/42 for the Open V-Angle Jointing but not Acrifix®?

Also, I'm assuming these butt joints are strong enough to be used to extend aquariums (i.e. I'm assuming you could join two open-ended aquariums together on the bottom and sides with this method and have it hold long-term) - is that accurate?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back