Forum gains a new Hillbilly.

Dave_1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - I'm Dave. I work in IT and live in the sprawling metropolis of Wooster, Arkansas. We count livestock in our population total if that gives you an idea. I have a bit of aquarium experience having owned some small freshwater and saltwater aquariums in the past. I'm joining the forums now because I realized that my current list of 137 hobbies has left me far too much spare time. Idle hands and all that. So I am thinking of finally building the reef tank I have dreamed of for many, many years.

Eventually I'll start a build thread but I'm really in the "thinking about it" phase of planning. Zeroing in on the best locations for the tank, the RO/DI water station, Quarantine Tanks, mixing, etc. Reading a ton of great info so I can figure out what sort of philosophy I will try to follow on my eventual setup. The layout of my home is bit non-optimized for this (tank will be pretty far away from RO/DI, etc)- so I am looking hard at the "dosing with very limited water changes" philosophy. I'm probably going to shoot for a 180 gallon display tank so I can comfortably house the fish species I am most interested in - stuff like Tangs for instance. I'm also thinking of sticking to LPS and Soft corals to make things a bit simpler on water flow needs and because I'm a newb.

I have a couple of house projects to do pre-aquarium which will affect my display tank location so we'll see how that goes and get a build thread up after that when I start to make decisions that involve actually spending money.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.jpg

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - I'm Dave. I work in IT and live in the sprawling metropolis of Wooster, Arkansas. We count livestock in our population total if that gives you an idea. I have a bit of aquarium experience having owned some small freshwater and saltwater aquariums in the past. I'm joining the forums now because I realized that my current list of 137 hobbies has left me far too much spare time. Idle hands and all that. So I am thinking of finally building the reef tank I have dreamed of for many, many years.

Eventually I'll start a build thread but I'm really in the "thinking about it" phase of planning. Zeroing in on the best locations for the tank, the RO/DI water station, Quarantine Tanks, mixing, etc. Reading a ton of great info so I can figure out what sort of philosophy I will try to follow on my eventual setup. The layout of my home is bit non-optimized for this (tank will be pretty far away from RO/DI, etc)- so I am looking hard at the "dosing with very limited water changes" philosophy. I'm probably going to shoot for a 180 gallon display tank so I can comfortably house the fish species I am most interested in - stuff like Tangs for instance. I'm also thinking of sticking to LPS and Soft corals to make things a bit simpler on water flow needs and because I'm a newb.

I have a couple of house projects to do pre-aquarium which will affect my display tank location so we'll see how that goes and get a build thread up after that when I start to make decisions that involve actually spending money.
Welcome to R2R!!! I got some family from Wynne right by Forrest City.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back