Four MP60s on a 900 3XL (Placement & Program)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 900 3XL and four MP60s, on a SPS mixed reef tank. The aquascape is mostly centered from front to back, with room for an MP60 to flow along the front or back of the aquascape (with MP60s on the side).

I would like to use all four MP60s. What do recommend for placement and programming?

For Placement:
I was thinking one MP60 on each side, 6 in. below the surface, closer toward the back of the tank to flow behind the aquascape. Or, one on each side, but staggered, one flowing behind the aquascape, and the other in front. And, the other two MP60s on the back wall, closer to the overflow.

For Programming:
I was considering NTM, but I have concerns with the pulsing/wave action destroying my rimless tank.

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this tank have sand, or is this bare bottom?

I have a similar aquascape with islands in the middle with space in the front and back. The MP40s are on the ends of the tank, each slightly offset from center - just a few inches - so that I get good flow down the front and back of the tank. You don’t want the pumps too far out of alignment because you will end up with a spinning current instead of turbulence.

if you use NTM, be aware that the wave lasts 45 minutes and then there is 30 minutes of high flow. Personally, I have like to use this with one pump on 45 minute cycles occasionally just to have some wave. I do no like the pulse modes, I think they are hard on the pumps.

Honestly I am not sure what I would do with the other pumps. Four MP40 would have probably got things done on this tank or the best might have been 6 MP40. If you can exchange, I would do two on each end and two in the back…

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back