FOWLR Lighting

rainsong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am new to saltwater tanks. I am in the process of converting my 60" x 24" x 22" tank from planted freshwater to saltwater. I plan on taking it REALLY slowly. Eventually I would like to have a mixed reef tank ... but not for a long time (years?).

I sold all of my planted tank lights except for one ... Beamswork DA FSPEC Freshwater. My understanding is that using a freshwater light is not good for a saltwater tank. Since I am not going to be growing corals anytime soon, what kind of light should I be looking into for fish/live rock/ coralline algae? I prefer a cheap solution since this is temporary.

Thanks!

Avast

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am new to saltwater tanks. I am in the process of converting my 60" x 24" x 22" tank from planted freshwater to saltwater. I plan on taking it REALLY slowly. Eventually I would like to have a mixed reef tank ... but not for a long time (years?).

I sold all of my planted tank lights except for one ... Beamswork DA FSPEC Freshwater. My understanding is that using a freshwater light is not good for a saltwater tank. Since I am not going to be growing corals anytime soon, what kind of light should I be looking into for fish/live rock/ coralline algae? I prefer a cheap solution since this is temporary.

Thanks!
Anything cheap that's not meant to grow anything. Lighting isn't needed at all so the effects are only for viewing.

DO YOU CARE WHAT THE CORDS AND CABLES LOOK LIKE AROUND YOUR REEF TANK?

• YES

Votes: 290 59.2%
  • NO

Votes: 36 7.3%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 158 32.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.2%
AF