Fowlr new aqua scape?

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank going for around 9 months now. I recently had 6 fish die from either high Nitrates or some sort of parasites. Couple just up and died and the others got black spots in the skin. I have the tank parameters back to normal and cleaner than ever. My snails, hermits, shrimp, and blue spotted puffer seem to be doing great.

Since my tank is at a bare minimum and I’m wondering if it would be a good time to change up the aqua scape. I still enjoy my original layout but wonder if I can’t create something most pleasing to the eyes and live-able for the fish. What is everyone’s thoughts ?

DAE1AB32-539A-423D-92C6-B74D271A1BE6.jpeg

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks great, but nothing wrong with re-scaping. Perhaps get cured rock if you want to change up the pieces.
I second this ^
I do enjoy the look it currently has but wonder if the fish would benefit from a more NSA setup. I could honestly be overthinking things and trying to spend unnecessary money lol!

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do enjoy the look it currently has but wonder if the fish would benefit from a more NSA setup. I could honestly be overthinking things and trying to spend unnecessary money lol!
"trying to spend unnecessary money lol!" - this statement couldn't be more true and I'm sure many of us would agree!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish never benefit the most from NSA as it limits fish territory and lacks caves/hiding places. Do what you like. In your eyes, the tank looks nice but it could look better after some work but then is the work worth it?

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one more question. The rock that’s currently in there is Caribsea. Is this stuff supposed to break apart really easy? If I used my feed and spray the rock with water it break apart like it’s not really rock. Hard to explain

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one more question. The rock that’s currently in there is Caribsea. Is this stuff supposed to break apart really easy? If I used my feed and spray the rock with water it break apart like it’s not really rock. Hard to explain
Lol no it’s one of the toughest ones. Not strong enough however thrown against the floor…..don’t ask me why that happened :flushed-face: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I do ask however what would you spray it with? RO or tap from the hose will ruin the bacteria on and in the rock.

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no it’s one of the toughest ones. Not strong enough however thrown against the floor…..don’t ask me why that happened :flushed-face: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I do ask however what would you spray it with? RO or tap from the hose will ruin the bacteria on and in the rock.
So I used a fish feeding pipette to clean sand off my rock in the tank and I noticed pieces of the rock blowing off. I believe I’m going to go ahead and order some Marco rocks just to be safe.

I also figured out what might have killed the fish. I did a stray voltage test and my heater is putting out 65volts when turned on. Thankfully No one has touched the water and gotten hurt !

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used a fish feeding pipette to clean sand off my rock in the tank and I noticed pieces of the rock blowing off. I believe I’m going to go ahead and order some Marco rocks just to be safe.

I also figured out what might have killed the fish. I did a stray voltage test and my heater is putting out 65volts when turned on. Thankfully No one has touched the water and gotten hurt !
Looking at your tank now I don’t think you have the same rock I was thinking of. I was thinking of the live rock caves /arches /tunnels /shelfs etc. Your Caribsea Life rock isn’t as string and yes it’s more likely for tiny pieces to chip away with even your pipette. Careful when using Marco rock as it doesn’t handle the ugly stages well and even adds to it. Glad you figured out the voltage problem.

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your tank now I don’t think you have the same rock I was thinking of. I was thinking of the live rock caves /arches /tunnels /shelfs etc. Your Caribsea Life rock isn’t as string and yes it’s more likely for tiny pieces to chip away with even your pipette. Careful when using Marco rock as it doesn’t handle the ugly stages well and even adds to it. Glad you figured out the voltage problem.
I was thinking about building the aqua scape and seeding it with some of my current rock and fusion coralline bottle algae in a separate container for a month or so.

Should help with the ugly stage maybe‍♂️. Worst case, I’ll have to wait for a year or so before i get a decent looking tank again lol.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about building the aqua scape and seeding it with some of my current rock and fusion coralline bottle algae in a separate container for a month or so.

Should help with the ugly stage maybe‍♂️. Worst case, I’ll have to wait for a year or so before i get a decent looking tank again lol.
It could but the uglies don’t happen when the rock is cycling it’s in your tank. Every single tank has or will experience uglies not matter what but it depends on what rock you use actions you take and things you add that decide the uglies strength and period of time.

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could but the uglies don’t happen when the rock is cycling it’s in your tank. Every single tank has or will experience uglies not matter what but it depends on what rock you use actions you take and things you add that decide the uglies strength and period of time.
Is the ugly stage still bad if you really only introducing new rock? I’d keep my same water, tank and sand. I also have a ton of matrix media in both baskets. Should help add establish good bio culture right?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the ugly stage still bad if you really only introducing new rock? I’d keep my same water, tank and sand. I also have a ton of matrix media in both baskets. Should help add establish good bio culture right?
Yes. It may send a curve ball to the uglies but it also gives them an opportunity to do something worse. Make sure not to dose to much of these additives at once as they can lower oxygen.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back