Fox Face not eating GHA

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a "very" portly looking One Spot Fox Face Rabbit fish and a whole lot of Green Hair Algae. He mostly ignores the GHA, but occasionally takes a half-hearted bite. Fish is almost 2 years old.

Should I try to starve him to see if he starts munching on the GHA? Or do I just assume I have one of those Fox Faces that is just not into GHA.

Thanks!

corky1618

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try starving him a bit, they will eat it but if there are easier options, they will go for that. If not get some emerald or pithos crab. They will eat anything if they get hungry enough including corals, but at that point I just wait and grab them out with a tweezers.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO fish will either eat it or not....there is no "training" to get them to eat. As stated, they normally won't eat long strands....they tend to keep it clean after it has been kept short. The only thing I have seen eat the long strands is a sea hare.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a "very" portly looking One Spot Fox Face Rabbit fish and a whole lot of Green Hair Algae. He mostly ignores the GHA, but occasionally takes a half-hearted bite. Fish is almost 2 years old.

Should I try to starve him to see if he starts munching on the GHA? Or do I just assume I have one of those Fox Faces that is just not into GHA.

Thanks!
Look into a dollabella sea hare. Those guys love GHA. My foxface doesnt like it either, she eats different kinds of algae. The sea hare will have that clear in no time

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look into a dollabella sea hare. Those guys love GHA. My foxface doesnt like it either, she eats different kinds of algae. The sea hare will have that clear in no time

Seconding a Sea Hare, I got a small one last week to handle my tank’s ugly stage. I feel like I’m going to have to rehome it soon, my rocks are looking spotless!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconding a Sea Hare, I got a small one last week to handle my tank’s ugly stage. I feel like I’m going to have to rehome it soon, my rocks are looking spotless!
I love my sea hare! I give him nori sheets every week so I dont have to re home him. Im attached to him, he is a cool invert, one of my favorites!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back