Fox face rapid decline

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had a one spot fox face for 6 months, he shares the tank with 8 other fish, 99% of the time its a very peaceful tank.

Yesterday we noticed him hiding behind a rovk in full camo mode, he had previously eaten that day, today he hasnt eaten, we are convinced he has gone blind as he doesnt react to hands on the glass like he used to plus he is banging into things like rocks and glass.

He for the most part stays in one place unless our coral beauty goes and touches him.

He also looks like he has part of his slime coat coming away.

All other fish in the tank are as they have been.

Is this treatable or do we need intervention here. We dont have another tank.

Attachments

• VID-20230831-WA0000.mp4
    3.4 MB
OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just started swimming quickly around the tank smashing into everything, he is goibg to hurt himself alot or another fish soon

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
We have had a one spot fox face for 6 months, he shares the tank with 8 other fish, 99% of the time its a very peaceful tank.

Yesterday we noticed him hiding behind a rovk in full camo mode, he had previously eaten that day, today he hasnt eaten, we are convinced he has gone blind as he doesnt react to hands on the glass like he used to plus he is banging into things like rocks and glass.

He for the most part stays in one place unless our coral beauty goes and touches him.

In the video, the spots you see are stress marks and something obviously has triggered this which may be aggression from looks at edge of tail and upper dorsal. Going blind has occured with some of these fish but a sure way to tell if its eyesight is to slowly approach fish with a net and see if it responds to presence of the net. Video of it crashing would also help to determine if its eyesight or moribund activity.
I dont see in video , fish losing slime coat but would/could be bacterial. I would suggest isolation into a sperate tank with new/clean sterile water and treat at minimum with ruby Rally Pro.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video, the spots you see are stress marks and something obviously has triggered this which may be aggression from looks at edge of tail and upper dorsal. Going blind has occured with some of these fish but a sure way to tell if its eyesight is to slowly approach fish with a net and see if it responds to presence of the net. Video of it crashing would also help to determine if its eyesight or moribund activity.
I dont see in video , fish losing slime coat but would/could be bacterial. I would suggest isolation into a sperate tank with new/clean sterile water and treat at minimum with ruby Rally Pro.
When he was first smashing around tank we were seconds from getting him out, he was in a net and fidnt even realise, that video doesnt show the slime coat but it was definitely coming off

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When he was first smashing around tank we were seconds from getting him out, he was in a net and fidnt even realise, that video doesnt show the slime coat but it was definitely coming off
If it fell into net, either blind or weak. You can quarantine it and treat with Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 - not maracyn Oxy which will address gram Negative issues(skin) and etes - If its not too late with eye. Rally would do the same but would take much longer

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it fell into net, either blind or weak. You can quarantine it and treat with Maracyn AKA Maracyn 1 - not maracyn Oxy which will address gram Negative issues(skin) and etes - If its not too late with eye. Rally would do the same but would take much longer
Trouble is we have one tank

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where in the UK are you Jason?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Trouble is we have one tank
Acclimation box may cause further issue to eyes if fish bumps into it.
Quarantining is suggested with new arrival but in this matter, a treatment tank is recommended to have on hand. It not practical for many to have a second tank but at times like this - its warranted. A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation box may cause further issue to eyes if fish bumps into it.
Quarantining is suggested with new arrival but in this matter, a treatment tank is recommended to have on hand. It not practical for many to have a second tank but at times like this - its warranted. A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
I get theres two sides to the quarantine argument but all our fish have come from the same shop and never had an issue, this fish has been with us for 6 months so that wouldnt be relevant anyway, hospital tank i understand in this situation but i doubt i start quarantining new arrivals any time soon

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oxfordshire
Did not realize you were in UK. The meds I mentioned likely not obtainable but if you decide to treat, it will be Waterlife Myxazin best or NT Labs Acriflavin

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I get theres two sides to the quarantine argument but all our fish have come from the same shop and never had an issue, this fish has been with us for 6 months so that wouldnt be relevant anyway, hospital tank i understand in this situation but i doubt i start quarantining new arrivals any time soon
That would be your call. Fish health and disease is on us- Not the fish and I agree, this is an isolated incident and not due to a new arrival as an example.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that your fish went blind for no reason. My foxface darts around the tank and bumps into rocks when she’s scared or suddenly startled. They are very hyperactive. I’ve had mine for 10 years so I’ve seen a lot of weird behavior. I’d hate for you to euthanize him thinking he’s blind when he might just be upset at another tanI mate.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that your fish went blind for no reason. My foxface darts around the tank and bumps into rocks when she’s scared or suddenly startled. They are very hyperactive. I’ve had mine for 10 years so I’ve seen a lot of weird behavior. I’d hate for you to euthanize him thinking he’s blind when he might just be upset at another tanI mate.
I understand your thoughts but whatever the reason he definitely cannot see, weve ordered some meds and will be transferring him to another tank tomorrow so he cannot do any further damage to himself and go from there

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back