Fox face rapid decline

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your thoughts but whatever the reason he definitely cannot see, weve ordered some meds and will be transferring him to another tank tomorrow so he cannot do any further damage to himself and go from there

I thought mine was blind a few years ago. She also wasn’t reacting to stimuli from what I could determine. She might have been in shock after jumping out of the tank. I didn’t take any action and the issue resolved. They are drama queens. Good luck.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, regarding the sliming, they often shed the slime from their spines while swimming around. It’s never caused any issues in my tank. I think that’s normal for them.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he's now in a small tank on his own after a brief freshwater dip (that he did not enjoy)

Medicine comes soon and then we shall observe, theres no doubt he cannot see so unless his sight returns its not kind to him to prolong his misery

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be your call. Fish health and disease is on us- Not the fish and I agree, this is an isolated incident and not due to a new arrival as an example.
We have started treating waterlife myxazin in a hospital tank, instructions suggest 5 days, is this the maximum or can i continue if i see some improvement?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We have started treating waterlife myxazin in a hospital tank, instructions suggest 5 days, is this the maximum or can i continue if i see some improvement?
You can go 7-10 days. Will take 48 hrs to start working

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go 7-10 days. Will take 48 hrs to start working
Ok thank you, we are 2 days in, hes not eating even when his mouth was literally on the nori sheet, that said his beak is getting pretty bashed up now so i expect very painful for him

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok thank you, we are 2 days in, hes not eating even when his mouth was literally on the nori sheet, that said his beak is getting pretty bashed up now so i expect very painful for him
Increase aeration with air stone during treatment

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update

Weve been treating with waterlife myxazin for 10 days now and he is still blind, he's eating a small amount but only when he literally bangs into it and then its still a rare thing, he hasnt ever changed to full yellow but some days he is brighter than others, he is still actively swimming and weve seen at least one poo to tell hes eaten something, his beak is still bashed up though and will obviously continue to be like that until he stops swimming into things.

So do we continue to fight for him whilst he still is or do we need to call it a day as a blind life for a fish isnt really a life, plus we have a 4/5" one spot foxface is a 13g hospital tank

Also ive been advised that 7-10 days treatment is max but csn i start again after a period of time or is it pointless

Certainly dont want to euthanize a fish with a chance but nothing has changed

Any thoughts

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update

Weve been treating with waterlife myxazin for 10 days now and he is still blind, he's eating a small amount but only when he literally bangs into it and then its still a rare thing, he hasnt ever changed to full yellow but some days he is brighter than others, he is still actively swimming and weve seen at least one poo to tell hes eaten something, his beak is still bashed up though and will obviously continue to be like that until he stops swimming into things.

So do we continue to fight for him whilst he still is or do we need to call it a day as a blind life for a fish isnt really a life, plus we have a 4/5" one spot foxface is a 13g hospital tank

Also ive been advised that 7-10 days treatment is max but csn i start again after a period of time or is it pointless

Certainly dont want to euthanize a fish with a chance but nothing has changed

Any thoughts
Should you feel it is best to euthanize at some point, google "clove oil euthanize". I had to do it, hated it, but must say the fish did NOT seem to suffer at all.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should you feel it is best to euthanize at some point, google "clove oil euthanize". I had to do it, hated it, but must say the fish did NOT seem to suffer at all.
Thanks, thats what we've used in the past,

Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back