One spot fox face

esilsay07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Husband and I purchased a one spot fox face today and it only lasted 6 hours and is dead sadly :( we acclimated prior to placing in the tank, he went into hiding soon as we placed in tank and seemed a bit stressed then a couple hours later bam, he was gone:( has anybody had a similar experience with this species?

OP
OP
E

esilsay07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, where did you acquire this fish? Any other fish in your tank? How old is your tank? When you were at store buying this fish, did they try to feed it in front of you to make sure they are eating/healthy?
Fish store we frequent, yes other fish in our tank, porcupine, valentini, blue devil damsel, humu humu, passer angel, and we bought a whitetail bristle tooth tang that was introduced same time as fox face which is doing great. We did not ask them to feed prior and our fault we should have.

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably the main reason. "All" ( we of course can't use an absolute) fox faces are wild caught, and not all wild caught fish do well with rapid shipping/tank transfers. if you see a new fish at the LFS, let it stay there for a week or two and see what it does/ how it's behaving.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do get stressed very easily but I have never had any issues acclimating them. Assuming you acclimated correctly, I think you just got unlucky with that specific fish due to things that happened prior to you bringing him home.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank seems a little aggressive for a fish that often suffers from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, paranoia, PTSD, depression and ADHD.
I mean that's the perfect description of their personality!

I always liked the looks but once I got one, I was shocked at their neurotic and goofy behavior. I'll watch from a distance and it's just hilarious. I can't even describe better than you did, ha!

Really sucks for OP, but hopefully they try again with one that's been more acclimated in the LFS' tanks first.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every Foxface I see for sale always look like they are starving to death. I bought one but it took like 3 days for this thing to start eating anything. This was my second one and the first one did the same but unfortunately it went carpet surfing. They are definitely a fish that takes a while to get used to their surroundings. My best advice would be to buy one that is very active and doesn't look like it's starving.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank seems a little aggressive for a fish that often suffers from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, paranoia, PTSD, depression and ADHD.
LOL thats a really good way to describe a foxface! Ive got mine in an aggressive tank and he seems to have kicked all those but bipolar :) roughened him up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back