Foxface heavy breathing and discolouration

findingAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i noticed about 50 minutes ago my foxface was breathing heavy, checked water params no ammonia, no nitrite, 10/20ppm nitrate and Ph about 8.

I thought maybe o2, so lifted the returns higher to disturb water more..

video is how i first noticed him picture is now breathing is the same.

Nothings changed recently i can think of..

Other fish seem fine image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0460.mov
    19.5 MB

Surdokas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just looks like something scared him. It's normal for them to hide and go full camo with their spikes up when they are stressed about anything

OP
OP
findingAqua

findingAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was swimming around absolutely fine, then started breathing heavy still swimming fine, then turned black and still has heavy breathing resting on the floor, ive had him a good few months and hes never done this in this way

OP
OP
findingAqua

findingAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think the video uploaded,

Heres a YT link:

This is the behaviour that makes me concerned before the camo

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was swimming around absolutely fine, then started breathing heavy still swimming fine, then turned black and still has heavy breathing resting on the floor, ive had him a good few months and hes never done this in this way

Are there other fish in the tank?
Are they breathing normally?

If so, I would say something shocked this fish, maybe it rushed and hit something in the tank. If so, dimming the lights and seeing if it will recover is really all you can do for it.

Jay

OP
OP
findingAqua

findingAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there other fish in the tank?
Are they breathing normally?

If so, I would say something shocked this fish, maybe it rushed and hit something in the tank. If so, dimming the lights and seeing if it will recover is really all you can do for it.

Jay
Other fish look fine, ive placed in fresh carbon and doing a large wc just waiting on my drum to fill with RODI water, but ive seen him scared before

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He looks really bad now :/

IMG_0462.jpeg
Lower white light intensity and increase oxygen via air stone
Are eyes clear or cloudy?
Breathing rate increased or normal after water change?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree ! Lower light intensity and stand back from tank .check on him periodically. I had one look worse than this . Sometime it’s a fish , sometimes it’s us , or a reflection . They can get scared and look like they are dying . Mine always came back . Now he’s been in the tank for a year or so he doesn’t get scared but now I do as when I put my hand in the tank he doesn’t shy away . He stand his ground and now I’m always worried he might stab and poison me lol !! :cool:. Naw it’s all good just dim the lights and observe from afar .

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had him what I thought was his tail stuck in a crevasse with his head pointed upwards and he was completely white with gray blotches . I took a pointer and tried to see if I could unstick him and he darted out and went under a rock . About a hour later he was out swimming around as if nothing happened . I just cut my lights leaving the blues on . Good luck and hope your guy acts the same .

OP
OP
findingAqua

findingAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had him what I thought was his tail stuck in a crevasse with his head pointed upwards and he was completely white with gray blotches . I took a pointer and tried to see if I could unstick him and he darted out and went under a rock . About a hour later he was out swimming around as if nothing happened . I just cut my lights leaving the blues on . Good luck and hope your guy acts the same .
My one was the same, he will come up to my hand now, and never gets scared anymore, which is why im so worried now

OP
OP
findingAqua

findingAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes getting harassed by the cleaner shrimps, should i move him to the other side of the tank? Atm hes in the corner they all hang out

OP
OP
findingAqua

findingAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes now to the point hes getting blown by current in the tank. Really dont understand this, hes been fine all day up uptil just before i posted with his heavy breathing

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that . That’s a tough one . It’s hard to know exactly what his issue was . I would be looking closely at the existing fish in your tank . Again sorry for your loss .

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i noticed about 50 minutes ago my foxface was breathing heavy, checked water params no ammonia, no nitrite, 10/20ppm nitrate and Ph about 8.

I thought maybe o2, so lifted the returns higher to disturb water more..

video is how i first noticed him picture is now breathing is the same.

Nothings changed recently i can think of..

Other fish seem fine image.jpg
Thess guys are so skitty, this guy looks like he is in the “oh my god the sky is falling” phase which is literally triggered by ANYTHING. I see my foxface do this at least 3 times a day when a fish swims behind him. My previous one was even worse! I think yours is okay just spooked

Edit just saw he passed, Im sorry I hope you find out what happened!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thess guys are so skitty, this guy looks like he is in the “oh my god the sky is falling” phase which is literally triggered by ANYTHING. I see my foxface do this at least 3 times a day when a fish swims behind him. My previous one was even worse! I think yours is okay just spooked

Edit just saw he passed, Im sorry I hope you find out what happened!
Op’s Last post was that his foxface died .

OP
OP
findingAqua

findingAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that . That’s a tough one . It’s hard to know exactly what his issue was . I would be looking closely at the existing fish in your tank . Again sorry for your loss .
Thankyou.

Really upsetting, was one of the first fish i got with such a good personality. Was nice and fat and gobbled up breakfast as usual this morning.

Other fish all seem fine, if it was water quality or chemical etc i would of thought smaller fish would of went first? My corals hadnt even retracted.

Will keep a close eye on all the others. Examined the body after death, couldnt see anything wrong, even dipped in some tap water and still nothing. He was only about 4 inchs so not getting old either..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back